Primary Objective: This person is in training to become an Assistant Store Manager and will effectively assist the Store Manager in the operation of a profitable, safe, clean retail drugstore. This person will assist in maintaining positive employee and customer relations at all times.
Reports to: Store Manager
Major Responsibilities and Duties Which May Be Considered Essential:
- In the absence of the Store Manager and the Assistant Store Manager, the Second Assistant has full responsibility for the operation of the store.
- Must properly execute refunds and exchanges in a positive and timely manner in order that good customer service levels are maintained. Insure that customers are acknowledged and assisted with their needs quickly and courteously.
- Must assist the Store Manager in maintaining balanced inventory levels of clean salable goods. Must be familiar with current ad products, prices and locations to assist customers in locating merchandise.
- Must provide product and service information as needed.
- Must set a professional example by enforcing policies such as attendance, proper dress and grooming code, customer service, and proper cash handling and exercising reasonable control of expenses.
- Must assist the Store Manager in creating and maintaining good morale through an Open Door policy, constant two-way communication, cooperation and effective on-going training of all store personnel. The Second Assistant has the authority to direct the work of all employee associates except for the technical aspects relating to the practice of Pharmacy.
- Must deal with issues in a tactful, courteous and professional manner.
- Must be able to prioritize & delegate tasks. Must monitor & follow up in a timely manner with store associates on delegated tasks to insure proper completion.
- Must support the Bartell Merchandising Guide standards.
- Must safeguard the store's assets to include handling daily store cash deposits, petty cash funds and each register's cash flow. Insure that cash drops are performed in a timely & secure manner during the course of the day. May on occasion take daily store deposit to the bank.
- Must on occasion, operate a cash register proficiently.
- Must have reliable transportation and be available for transfer to different Bartell Drugs stores in the Puget Sound area as needed.
- Must be able to stock merchandise at all levels of the shelving in the store in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Six months of prior retail experience preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must demonstrate courteous and professional interpersonal communication skills towards customers, supervisors and fellow employee associates.
- Must be able to quickly and accurately perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages, and dollars.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and comprehend conversational English.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Frequent reaching at all levels to stock shelves and/or operate a cash register. Frequent repetitive hand movements and fine finger manipulation to operate a cash register. Occasional repetitive arm movement to stock shelves. Constant handling and grasping of merchandise, containers, cartons, and/or money.
- Must frequently bend or stoop to stock below waist-height shelves and to remove merchandise from carts. Crouching, twisting, or pivoting at the waist and kneeling or squatting to low shelves also required.
- Must be able to frequently lift 20-40 lbs. from floor to chest. Frequently lift 1-2 lbs. from floor to 7 feet.
- Must frequently carry 1-2 lbs. for 5 to 10 feet. Occasionally carry 20 to 40 lbs. for 15 feet.
- Must be able to push/pull 25 to 40 lbs. of force occasionally.
- Must on occasion climb ladder or step stool.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time with walks of short distances at a brisk pace.
- Must be able to quickly and accurately perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, decimals, fractions, percentages and dollars.
- Must be able to operate a handtruck, grocery cart, stock carts, electronic cash register, pricing guns, box crushers, box cutter, conveyor belt, Camera department computer, MSI ordering machine, telephone, intercom, and various POS equipment where applicable