Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet. We are currently seeking a Trait Introgression Manager for the North America (NA) Seeds Development team. The preferred location is our Durham, NC location in Research Triangle Park, however our Nampa, ID site just outside of Boise is possible as well.
As the TI Manager you will lead and manage a team of scientists coordinating and optimizing the TI process for both corn and soybean through the Applied Genetics Organization in alignment with the business strategy. You will co-own the delivery of key performance indicators (KPI’s) with the TI operations team. In addition, you will work with other Applied Genetics Scientists, Data Analytics Scientists and Operations to drive the implementation of new data analytics in order to drive plant selection improvements, deploy or challenge new donor strategies, validate simulation results, and optimize glass-house protocols. The NATI team is responsible for delivery of converted products for late-stage testing and to serve as a key contact for pipeline and capacity management for corn and soy. The provided data and recommendations from the team will be used for monitoring pipeline health and advancement purposes for commercializing new products.
- Drive continuous improvement of the donor development process and subsequent stacking strategies to drive the new start process for TI. Challenge current processes and protocols that effect quality and/or cycling time in the TI process. Assist in developing short- and long-term strategies to incorporate new GM or native trait events into the Syngenta TI pipeline as efficiently as possible.
- Implement strategies to improve conversions or speed to market while maintaining or improving key performance indicators (KPIs). Assist in the implementation of the above-mentioned results to allow hand-off to production environments for AGS scientist, TI operations, and other teams supporting the conversion pipeline.
- Sponsor linking rapid cycling technologies with new marker or haplotype-based technologies and/or new protocols. Propose experiments to test efficiency of implementing new procedures.
- Ensure communication with the commercial organization, seeds leadership, and other key stakeholders regarding long term plan and trait strategy and provide regular updates about key KPIs for trait introgression.
- Development and leadership of the NATI team via recruitment, strategy, training, development, and performance management. Engage in career development of NA seeds development organization.
- Provide support for your team to deploy marker-based rapid background recovery in the GM, native trait, and CMS trait introgression conversion process to increase speed to market for corn and soy.
- Own strategies for automation of processes with other Applied Genetic Scientists, Internal Quantitative Geneticists, and Computer Programmers to further increase speed of analysis, to result decreasing project workload and time to market.
- Engage with global functions in developing new capabilities associated with Trait Introgression and maintain cost centers to remain on budget based on input from finance and business targets throughout the year.
- Support Syngenta’s freedom to operate and IP (Intellectual Property) development through filing of invention disclosures and assisting with patent applications.
- Ph.D. in genetics, plant breeding, genomics, or related field.
- 5 years of R&D experience in plant molecular breeding, germplasm management and/or GMTI in corn and soybean.
- Experience in experimental trialing design, quantitative genetics, statistical analysis, phenotypic data quality control, and diversity analysis.
- Project management experience and demonstrated ability delivering data analysis and meeting timelines from promotion/advancement.
- Knowledge and experience in methods of plant breeding (hybrids and selfed crops), plant breeding theory, genetics, and next-generation sequencing data.
- Knowledge of corn and soybean germplasm and/or heterotic groups.
- Demonstrated leadership experience including recruitment, team development, performance management, and strategy leading a multi-disciplinary team.
- Effective interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills are required. Experience with monitoring KPIs and data through Power-BI or other visualization software is desirable.
- Experience monitoring KPI’s and data through Power-BI or other visualization software is desirable.
What We Offer
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)