Senior Network Engineer (ANALYST, IT, SR)
Duke Universitys Office of Information Technology (OIT) Network Engineering team handles the design, and deep level support of the Duke University data network. The network infrastructure includes the core routers, optical network equipment, building-based switched networks and wireless network. The network engineering team partners with teams within OIT to develop the automated provisioning and troubleshooting procedures in use today; monitoring techniques to identify trends or issues; and support teams for client wireless support. From a design perspective, the team is responsible for supporting the academic and research needs of campus through timely upgrades and refreshes, as well as working with the OIT architecture team to identify new approaches to supporting campus network needs. Lastly, the group partners with the IT security office to manage the core network security infrastructure, including firewalls, VPNs, and automated black hole routing.
The successful candidate for the senior network engineer position is someone who has a strong background in network design and architecture. The position will be responsible for designing and troubleshooting network needs across the wired and wireless network, from the Internet edge, through the core network to building edge connections. The chosen candidate will work closely and collaborate with many colleagues across OIT and campus to create and update the network to support network needs across the environment. In addition to creating new solutions, it will be key for these solutions to be reliable and supportable both today as well in the future.
Must have skills
- Expert knowledge of Cisco IOS, Nexus and CatOS platforms.
- Expert experience with one or more of routing protocols including: EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS backbones
- Experience in designing and implementing network projects.
- Experience in managing routing protocols across campus networks.
- Experience in troubleshooting problems with network protocolsUnderstanding of network security and firewall/VPN management
- Fundamental knowledge of standard networking services and administration
Nice to have skills
- Familiarity with VMware
- Programming experience with Ruby, Python, or similar languages
- Experience with Splunk or other log analysis engines
- Experience with both open-source and vendor-provided network solutions
- Experience in a dev/ops shop
Beyond technical knowledge, the senior engineer should have demonstrated the ability to work as an effective team member with both technical and non-technical groups, introduce new technology to large organizations, and lead large-scale technical projects to completion.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED
The candidate in this role will
- Participating in projects to evaluate and design next generation network services
- Engage in network research when appropriate to aid strategic planning efforts and improve the services available to campus
- Provide 3rd tier support for network systems, including daytime and off-hours coverage for problems with supported equipment.
- Work closely with other engineers and management to develop plans for changing and improving the campus network.
- Develop technical standards procedures for network operations.
- Provide cross-training to other technical staff in areas of expertise.
- Identify candidates for automation in our current workflows. Design and develop software solutions to solve those problems.
- Effectively use existing open source projects and services and current, proprietary systems in use at Duke.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The candidate should have a high-level understanding of major components of a large IT enterprise, including concepts of networking, virtualization, storage, monitoring, security, identity management, application development methods, documentation, development of APIs, and workflows relating to provisioning of various IT services. The candidate will possess a deep understanding and hands-on experience with specific technologies used in network administration and programming for provisioning, configuration, and maintenance of network components. Expertise in scripting and coding skills in common languages is a plus.
The candidate will possess strong problem-solving skills and be able to clarify technical issues relating to a desired outcome in automating network services of all kinds. They are able to effectively function in a complex and rapidly changing environment; take projects and tasks and dynamically prioritize their work efforts to meet deadlines and goals; develop informal networks within Duke and other key organizations outside Duke to help stay abreast of changes and opportunities to improve our environment; define the needs and requirements for customers and being able to positively and productively interacting with them; and are self-motivated to tackle observed problems, present recommendations, and complete changes as necessary.
Required: BS in a quantitative field such as computer science, statistics, mathematics, data sciences. (or equivalent combination of education and experience.)
Preferred: Advanced degree is desirable. Advanced training in specific areas, technical or not, are an indicator of intellectual ability and curiosity.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Required: A progressive record of accomplishment in technical and computational areas, including such areas as network engineering and administration.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideasan exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.