We are looking for a Sr. Infrastructure Design Engineer – Compute to join our already skilled team of experts. We want you to have a real passion for technology and apply it to our high-performance culture. We care deeply about the work we do and the impact it has on our customers. You can take happiness in knowing your work has a positive effect on the people of North Carolina.
You'll be a trusted member of a high energy, tight-knit, creative team. As one of our valued members of the team you will be responsible for the engineering of various and complex aspects of both physical and cloud hosted data center infrastructures. Using your experience you will develop and maintain technical standards, procedures and documentation in partnership with service partners as needed. We need for you to be able to analyze operational data and directs proof of technology to establish standard for new designs or modifications to existing equipment, systems, or processes. We will look for you to use your interpersonal skills to partner and consult with varied technical, business project and management staff.
If you are ready to make a career out of making a difference then you are the person for this team.
- Independently plan and develop complex engineering designs in support of the implementation of network, compute, telephony, platform, middleware and database solutions.
- Own and maintain technology currency and capacity planning in support of established SLAs.
- Define hardware and software performance standards.
- As infrastructure SME, provide expertise and knowledge in emerging technologies with strategic technology vendors
- Participate in software and hardware licensing,financial and capacity activities that plan for the most efficient way to introduce and maintain datacenter technology within the environment.
- Proactively provide information and ongoing consultation for IT and business areas as well as vendors directly or indirectly affected by the network or data center infrastructures.
- Execute the detailed infrastructure design of larger and/or more complex internal projects collaborating with IT stakeholders, service owners and partners.
- Provide operational readiness through the engineering, planning, coordination, and execution of performance and tuning analysis, systems support, incident and problem resolution, software installation, and upgrades.
- Provide detailed guidance and consultation in solutioning production incidents when required.
- Maintain appropriate standardized guidelines, work procedures and schedules for solution engineering within the data center environment to expedite workflow and ultimately improve efficiencies.
- Build collaborative relationships with the broader architecture community to effectively maintain technical road maps and provide input into strategies and standards related to area of specialization.
- Collaborate with vendors on infrastructure designs to ensure the final product is what was designed/architected.
- Provide new technology overviews to IT and Enterprise leadership at varied leadership forums.
- Provide direction and assistance to less experienced team members as needed.
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years of systems engineering experience is required.
- In lieu of degree, 7 years of systems engineering experience.
- Advanced understanding of MS Server OS's
- Working knowledge of Powershell, python scripting
- Working knowledge of Ansible.
- Working Knowledge of GPO within AD
Nice to have:
- Experience with WSUS configuration and troubleshooting
- Experience with Citrix, Horizon, RDSH published apps and virtual desktop solutions
- Familiar with SQL Clustering and SQL always on configuration
- Familiarity with VEEAM and Zerto, other backup restore solutions
- Familiarity with VMware Vsphere 6.5+, VROPS, VSAN
- Understanding of networking concepts and methodology
- Understanding of storage concepts and methodology
- Direct experience in one or more of the following technical specialties: network, compute, storage, platform.
- Experience automating tasks associated with technical specialties.
- Experience leading data center projects and initiatives.
- Experience in multiple virtualization and hypervisor technical specialties preferred.
- Experience in one or more of the following technologies (aligning with relevant technical specialties):
- Software defined networking
- Software defined storage
- Compute virtualization
- Private/public cloud
- Linux containers
- Experience engineering technologies to be delivered “as a service“ and an understanding of concepts of multi-tenancy.
- Ability to correlate technical actions to business impact