Registered Nurse (Experienced) - Cardiac Stepdown - Duke Regional - Nights
Registered Nurse (Experienced) - Cardiac Telemetry Stepdown - Duke Regional Hospital - Nights
Experienced RNs (1+ years of experience) are eligible for a $15,000 Sign-On Bonus!
Relocation Bonuses also available!
Full-time; 36 hours per week.
Three (3) 12-hour shifts.
Night shift (7p-7a)
Duke Regional Hospital Duke Regional Hospital offers the personal touch and hometown feel of a community hospital while serving as an essential arm of internationally recognized Duke University Health System. Duke Regional has served Durham, Orange, Person, Granville and Alamance counties for more than 45 years. To be successful at caring for our community and have a strong reputation among patients who seek our care, we have 3,500 team members who work together to provide exceptional, compassionate and equitable healthcare 24/7. We are a place of learning and acceptance for team members just starting their careers, as well as an institution of family culture and professional development for employees who have served for decades in our hospital units.Duke Regional has 388 inpatient beds and offers a comprehensive range of medical, surgical and diagnostic services, including orthopedics, weight-loss surgery, women's services, and heart and vascular services. We also offer care at our Duke Rehabilitation Institute, Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center, Duke Ambulatory Surgery Center Arringdon, Health Services Center, and Duke Behavioral Health Center North Durham. In fiscal year 2021, Duke Regional Hospital admitted 16,422 patients, performed 18,152 surgeries and welcomed 2,673 babies into the world. U.S. News & World Report ranked Duke Regional Hospital as #9 in North Carolina and #4 in the Raleigh-Durham area for 2021-22. The Human Rights Campaign consistently names us a Healthcare Equality Leader, and we are a Joint Commission-accredited and Magnet-designated hospital.
Duke Nursing Highlights:
- Duke University Health System is designated as a Magnet organization
- Nurses from each hospital areconsistently recognized each year as North Carolina's Great 100 Nurses.
- Duke University Health System was awarded the American Board of Nursing Specialties Award for Nursing Certification Advocacy for being strong advocates of specialty nursing certification.
- Duke University Health System has 6000 + registered nurses
- Quality of Life: Living in the Triangle!
- Relocation Assistance (based on eligibility)
The Cardiac Telemetry Stepdown Unit 5-2 is a 37 bed unit caring for intermediate and stepdown patients experiencing acute cardiac events requiring telemetry monitoring. We are a very welcoming unit that strives at being the best in providing excellent patient care and customer service. We believe in recognizing our staff for their dedication to nursing excellence and highly value teamwork, advancing education, and positive work culture. Our team takes pride in being adaptable in managing the care of a diverse patient population, with conditions that include congestive heart failure, acute coronary syndrome, dysrhythmias, procedural patient from the cardiac catheterization lab, and patients requiring cardiac drips.
General Description of this Role
Independently plan and provide professional nursing care for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures. Provide nursing services to patients and families in accordance with the scope of the RN as defined by the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Role
- Plan, provide, and document professional nursing care, utilizing the nursing process, by physician orders and established policies and procedures under the supervision of the team leader or charge nurse.
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed and unlicensed care providers.
- Assist other healthcare personnel in the delivery of patient care. Participate in maintaining the environment of care including equipment and material resources.
- Prioritize work organization and identify resources available to assist in completing components of care promptly.
- Participate in professional development by maintaining required competencies, identifying learning needs, and seeking appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Support the development of other staff and formal learners. Participate in the identification of clinical or operational performance improvement opportunities and assist in performance improvement activities.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN program.
- Registered Nurses who do not have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) or higher will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date, and to complete that program within five years of their start date in this role.
- Exception: Registered nurses hired between July 1, 2014, and April 11, 2021, without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or higher) are encouraged to enroll in an appropriate BSN program within two years of their start date but must complete the program within five years of their start date. Registered nurses hired before July 1, 2014, are not required to enroll in a BSN program to remain in this job classification.
- No previous RN experience is required for New Graduate Registered Nurses
- One year of RN experience is required for Level II Registered Nurses
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
- Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North Carolina.
- BLS required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing process
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill patients and their families
- Ability to independently seek out resources and work collaboratively
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and others
- Ability to teach patients and families in accordance with the nursing plan of care
- Ability to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Ability to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support requirements designated by work area
- Ability to record activities, document assessments, plan of care, interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Ability to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Ability to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for patients
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other regulatory requirements
- Pre-employment Physical Capacity Testing Required
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideasan exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.