RTI’s Innovation Advisors are looking for candidates interested in a 12 month full time paid Post-Doctoral Fellowship position (can be extended an additional 12months if mutually agreed upon).
The Innovation Advisors’ Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program is designed to provide recent advanced degree-graduates with an immersive experience in a consulting and technology transfer career. Fellows will develop key consulting skills working alongside a team of experienced IA Analysts and Advisors to help clients turn insights into new products, services, and technologies that have meaningful human and business impact.
Fellows can expect to:
- Train with and be mentored by experienced Innovation Advisors in a consulting environment.
- Work autonomously and as member of varied project groups.
- Develop transferable skills: (business-centric research, synthesis, analysis, and communication. / client interfacing including scoping, managing expectations, and presenting recommendations. / commercialization and technology transfer strategies and execution. / facilitation using both in-person and online tools.)
- Gain exposure to clients that include Fortune 500 companies, small businesses supported by government-funded innovation programs, government agencies and foundations globally, as well as academic institutions.
- Expand network of peer and professional contacts.
What We Do
RTI Innovation Advisors help our clients innovate by building capacity, providing insight, and accelerating technology from lab to market. Using systematic and rigorous approaches, we harness the power of research and analysis to bring insights gained from inside and outside of organizations to build the context, connections, and analysis clients need to make decisions, forge partnerships, and launch products. Anchored within RTI International, a not-for-profit research institute, we bring to our clients support from international offices in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa and across the United States; project experience in over 140 countries; expertise in 250 disciplines; hundreds of industry specialists and researchers; and decades of combined experience in order to deliver actionable insight, create meaning, and discern the path ahead.
Successful candidates will gain broad consulting experience and further develop transferable skills working alongside the multi-disciplinary IA team to help client organizations address innovation challenges across industries, from consumer products, to food, health care, and manufacturing. Harnessing their strong technical skills and creativity, candidates will help drive projects forward from the preliminary research and analysis phase through to the final presentation and recommendations to company executives.
Who We Are
With a 50-year record of success across the innovation life cycle, we know what works. Blending practical, technical, and creative sensibilities, we offer clients experience and insight across sectors, industries, and product development cycles. We believe in the power of teams. This is reflected in our own multi-disciplinary team which combines our expertise in engineering, chemistry, advanced materials, biology, health technologies, business, user-centered design, strategy, and marketing. Our approach to learning and teaming streamlines the path to market for technologies and delivers better products with the potential for positive business and human impact. Our blend of technical and creative approaches allows us to approach projects as problem solvers, whether that means landscaping the state-of the art or current products to inform and inspire futures products, finding technologies or partners to help move a product from design to market, or designing a customized innovation process and training to build our client’s innovation capabilities. We are diverse by design.
- The Fellow will work alongside and receive mentorship by the Innovation Advisors to conduct tasks related to market research and commercialization of new technologies that are often outside the scope of a candidate’s current study or experience. The Fellow will:
- Conduct research using secondary resources (published company information, SEC filings, scholarly journals, patent databases, trade literature, and news articles), as well as primary resources (interviews)
- Provide synthesis and analysis of research to create insights, often framed as opportunities identified during primary and secondary research in written and oral format
- Share insights in written and oral format within the IA team, as well as with clients
- Develop marketing descriptions of new technologies and conduct research in a wide range of technology areas and industries
- Understand business and legal issues related to commercialization of new technologies
- Apply general technical acumen and scientific skills to evaluate a variety of technologies
- Employ commercialization and innovation-related frameworks, such as the business model canvas and value proposition testing, to new technologies
- Ph. D. in science, engineering, or related disciplines received within the past 12 months.
- Demonstrated comfort and willingness to regularly work outside the scope of the candidate’s technical field of study.
- Exceptional written and oral communication, time management, analytical skills.
- Team-centric thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in typical computer applications such as the MS Office Suite, including Teams, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Motivated, hardworking individual with a passion for technology commercialization and consulting.
- Detail-oriented and able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ph. D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or closely related disciplines.
- 1 year of experience in technology transfer, business development, market analysis, patent licensing or related functions.
- Knowledge of or previous experience with product or process development, portfolio mapping/valuation, market research and/or technology evaluation.
- Experience in fields such as digital sciences, data analytics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning is a plus.
This opportunity is a 12 month paid postdoctoral fellowship run out of our Research Triangle Park, NC Headquarters office (extendable to 24 months on mutual agreement). The position requires 40 hours per week during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday). RTI International is operating under remote working conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will support candidates for virtual work until it is appropriate to return to the RTI Headquarters location.