RTI International seeks a candidate for an International Project Management Internship within the Governance and Economic Development Division in the International Development Group.
RTI's Internship Program emphasizes experiential and mentored learning experiences, providing students and recent degree recipients an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and skills in a meaningful and practical way. We are committed to developing the future workforce by encouraging interns to explore various career paths in a nonprofit research institute setting that values diversity and inclusion. Through this program, interns will become accustomed to RTI's open and educational culture, support RTI's mission to improve the human condition, and build upon career goals and grow.
The International Project Management Intern will work closely with Project Coordinators and Associates to provide operational assistance for his/her assigned programs within the Governance and Economic Development Division.
As the Project Management Intern, s/he will execute project and division-level administrative and financial tasks in accordance with RTI and USAID regulations, working to understand the overall practices, policies, and processes of project management for international development projects.
The International Project Management Internship will be responsible for assisting the IDG team in:
- Assisting project coordinators in reviewing monthly project financial transactions; responsibilities will include processing journal entries, updating monthly financial reports, reviewing invoices and cost-share documentation, and providing ad hoc financial analyses;
- Generating 3rd party requests, modifications and extensions;
- Facilitating recruitment, fielding, and support of consultants;
- Collecting, reviewing and processing consultant assignment reports, expense reports and invoices for payment;
- Processing routine project tasks and documents related to travel, sub-partners/subcontractors, vendors, etc. using approved templates
- Maintaining and input data for project activity tracking;
- Assisting with meeting invite management note taking, and distribution;
This unpaid internship for academic credit will be located in Research Triangle Park North Carolina and will take place from January 2020 through May 2020. The intern will be required to complete all internship responsibilities in at the RTI office in RTP.
The internship requires a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week, not to exceed 38 hours per week. Hours are flexible during business hours (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday)
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student pursuing a degree in international relations, peace and security, political science, public policy, economics, sociology, political economy, international development, economics, public administration, urban planning, journalism, communications, marketing, business or a related concentration
- Must be eligible to receive academic credit or fulfill an academic program requirement with this unpaid internship opportunity.
- To be fully considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter stating interest, learning objectives and course credit or program requirement.
- Interest in governance, workforce development, youth development, or economic growth technical area
- Detail-oriented and strong analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and willingness to work in a team environment
- Strong administrative support skills and abilities
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated writing skills
- Research and reporting experience
- Knowledge and proficiency with MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to work collaboratively with people with a variety of backgrounds and skill sets
- Culturally sensitive and respectful
- Flexibility and desire to work on varying projects
- Experience studying, working, or traveling in developing countries
- Work experience in administrative and/or project management roles
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish or French.
- Finance or accounting background to assist in financial administrative tasks as needed.