INTERNAL AUDITOR - 40002050 (Durham, NC, US, 27701)
Durham County Government employs approximately 1,900 employees that work towards providing needed services throughout the community. With a wide array of services, Durham County Government is at the heart of a rapidly growing and diverse area offering residents, employees and visitors exciting opportunities to live, work, grow and play. For more information about Durham County Government, visit www.dconc.gov.
March 31, 2022
The purpose of this position is to conduct professional internal audits of the County’s accounting records and systems. Duties may vary according to the complexity and scope of the audit. Work is performed under regular supervision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the preliminary planning of audits and preparation of audit programs.
- Examine and analyze risks, internal controls, programmatic data, financial statements and/or systems for accuracy, completeness and conformance to guidelines and regulations.
- Conduct reviews of contracts and other activities as required.
- Perform audits of nonprofit organizations receiving County funds.
- Assist external auditors with the preparation of reconciliations and schedules of Federal and State Awards.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting/audit principles and other applicable guidelines, laws/general statues etc.
- Knowledge of various software programs used during audits.
- Ability to accurately interpret and apply knowledge of laws, regulations, procedures, generally accepted accounting/auditing principles, technical and professional standards.
- Ability to prepare work plans, apply sampling techniques, and to audit various complex financial systems and/or programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in written format.
- Ability to identity substantive issues that require research.
- Ability to recognize deficiencies in controls or other weaknesses.
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members and others.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or economics from an appropriately accredited institution with 24 semester hours in accounting.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (PREFERRED):
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Durham County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires Durham County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss ADA accommodations with management.