Scientist â€“ Raleigh/Durham, NC
- Asa Biotic Modeling Scientist, you will support the development of strategicbusiness decisions related to insect, pest, disease, and pathogen resistancethrough the development of risk assessment scenarios (models) providinginsights on the durability of trait products.
- Youwill develop and apply computational models of biotic stress mechanisms and theeffects on crop health and performance for evaluations of the resistance risksassociated with insecticidal product use patterns in defined crop and pestscenarios.
- Youwill also design novel approaches for forecasting disease and pest pressures toenable data-driven decision making for trait development and breeding programs usingdiverse modeling and predictive analytic capabilities. You will work in closepartnerships with experts in R&D, breeding and pathology, and externalpartners to deliver insights and guidance on resistance risk analysis for insecticidaltraits.
- Developand evaluate computational models to perform resistance risk analyses for theapplication of insecticidal proteins when used as part of a crop managementstrategy.
- Generateknowledge and understanding of key biotic stress mechanisms (e.g., insects,pests, diseases, and pathogens) to drive decision-making in productdevelopment.
- Applynew and/or existing modeling approaches to conduct resistance risk analyses forthe application of insecticidal proteins.
- Designmodel-based innovations for forecasting disease and pest pressure forecastingto inform breeding and trait strategies.
- Incollaboration with biologists, conduct model based analyses to determine theimpact of a range of different resistance management techniques on the evolutionof insecticide resistance.
- Coordinatewith biologists and regulatory specialists to prepare resistance risk documentsas part of a regulatory dossier for pesticidal registrations.
- Understandexternal capabilities specific to resistance modeling for biotic stressors(e.g., insect, pest, disease, and pathogen) and collaborate effectively toutilize external knowledge, resource, and expertise to ensure a high level of competency.
- Provide guidance to biologists on the generation of biological data (including pest epidemiology) to either support or validate resistance risk analyses.
- Contribute knowledge and computer modeling insights into Syngenta global resistance management platforms.
- Promote the use and application of modeling to assess risks of resistance development of technology offers through solid cross-functional connections.
- Provide scientific leadership on developing and applying computational models for resistance risk analysis to enable decision support for Syngenta R&D.
- Consult with diverse stakeholders on experimental design, model development, and utilization.
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Applied Mathematics, Biomathematics, Bioengineering, or a related field.
- Understanding of applied mathematics, computational science, and predictive analytics required for the accountabilities above.
- Ability to construct and/or modify modeling programs.
- Working understanding of systems utilized for modeling pest population dynamics or infectious diseases.
- 3 years of experience applying modeling techniques to describe and analyze biological systems in an R&D setting.
- Proficiency in mathematical and statistical programming software packages and languages (e.g., R, Python, Matlab, etc.).
- Experience with a range of modeling techniques, preferably in the field of pest resistance development or closely related field (population dynamics).
- Experience of working with agriculturally related projects preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in pest population modeling and epidemiological analysis with application to resistance risk assessment preferred.
- Experience working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Full Benefit Package(Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with companymatch, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays,Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, CorporateDiscounts among others
- A culture that promoteswork/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family orientedevents throughout the year
is a leading agriculture company dedicated to feeding the world and improving
global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of
available resources. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation,
enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities. We have 28,000
people in over 90 countries working to transform how crops are grown.
is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment,
hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of
race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation,
marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you need assistance during the application process, please contact the
Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org
and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)