About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Works under the general direction of the Department of Pathology / Laboratory Director and Supervisor, this position performs duties delegated by the Director under CLIA Sect. 493.1445(a). Assumes other responsibilities, as delegated by the Laboratory Supervisor, such as: overseeing supply ordering and inventory activities, preparing and participating in laboratory accreditation inspections, performs validation of new instruments and procedures, writes and updates policies and procedures, acts as a technical resource and assists in staff training and competency assessments for laboratory technicians and Clinical Laboratory Scientists within the section. Works as part of the Clinical Pathology team in fulfilling departmental objectives.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Exhibits team leadership skills by mentoring, guiding, and providing technical expertise to team members.
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency and understanding of fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures with minimal amount of supervision.
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory tests and procedures according to prescribed protocols.
- Writes and updates policies and procedures.
- Oversees supply ordering and inventory activities.
- Acts as the primary technical resource for other section employees for method troubleshooting and evaluation of test performance.
- Performs evaluation and validation of new instruments and procedures.
- Assesses staff competency and completes performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Ensures the performance and documentation of equipment maintenance.
- Performs and reports test results for all clinical laboratory procedures as assigned, both automated and manual, in the clinical laboratory department.
- Adhere to laboratory’s quality control policies, document and reviews all quality control activities . Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results, analyzes QC data, makes judgments concerning the results, and takes appropriate action to maintain accuracy and precision.
- Oversees day to day operations which includes staff scheduling.
- Performs assigned responsibilities related to LIS.
- Complies with all department and organizational policies and procedures in addition to regulatory requirements, such as CALOSHA, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), The Joint Commission (TJC), etc., and participates in corporate or departmental safety and quality improvement activities.
- Oversee maintenance of all College of American Pathologist Laboratory Accreditation Program standard requirements within the section and coordinates external survey activities in the section.
- Performs other work assignments as required to maintain, sustain, and improve quality care and patient outcomes by documenting adverse events using incident reporting tools.
- Participates as a productive member of the work team.
- Complies with the organization and departmental attendance policies.
- Contributes to the productivity of the work team through adaptability and flexibility to workload and schedule changes in a way that promotes cooperation and minimizes disruption to the work environment.
- Coordinates simultaneous testing with complete accuracy in a timely manner and demonstrates a low error rate.
- Handles the normal workload in an organized and efficient manner prioritizes and multitasks to handle heavy workload as needed.
- Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department and interdepartmental objectives and maintain good employee relations.
- Assumes responsibility for errors and failures to meet deadlines and takes and immediate and appropriate steps to correct errors and or improve time management.
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of various aspects of processing and storage.
- Attends required in-services and actively participates in self education.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, biological sciences, chemical sciences or allied health technologies or equivalent
- Prior experience in a hospital laboratory setting or equivalent to include: specialized and complex analysis, computer experience, quality control, calibration, QC evaluation, inventory control, preventative maintenance, and quality improvement
- State of California Clinical Laboratory Scientist license or applicable State of California limited license
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH