Strategy and Transformation Management Consultant - IDB Lab Investment Unit (LAB/INV)
Background: At the Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDB Group), we are devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we have been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
IDB Lab is the innovation laboratory of the Inter-American Development Bank Group. It mobilizes financing, knowledge, and connections to support entrepreneurs to catalyze innovation that can drive inclusion in Latin America and the Caribbean. IDB Lab believes that innovation is a powerful tool that can transform this region, as it provides with unprecedented opportunities to solve long-standing problems that are preventing vulnerable populations to improve their quality of live.
IDB Lab provides financing and support to private sector driven projects or enterprises that advance innovative approaches, and test new models or technologies with the potential to address social, economic, and environmental development problems affecting vulnerable populations in Latin America and the Caribbean. The Investment Unit (INV) at IDB Lab is the unit responsible to originate and manage the portfolio of reimbursable operations.
For over 25 years, IDB Lab has been a pioneer in developing the early-stage innovation ecosystem, as well as in supporting initiatives to advance new business models –with potential for scalability— that facilitate inclusion in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region. A key means to advance these goals has been the use of a range of reimbursable financing instruments at its disposal, notably direct investments in companies showing innovative models, and indirect investments through venture capital (VC) funds. IDB Lab has been also testing and deploying new venture debt instruments to advance its strategy. IDB Lab also leverages third party financing to achieve its developmental goals, including environment and climate-oriented funds aligned with its strategies.
IDB Lab is currently advancing several strategic initiatives to improve its operational capabilities and potential for impact through its investment operations. It is currently sharpening its direct equity investment thesis and fund of funds model and the variety of debt products, and as a result will be updating and advancing its operational approach for investments and implementing a new set strategic initiatives across its financial products. In addition, it is looking to generate business intelligence based on the strategic management of its portfolio to obtain information from there, which will be an important ingredient for operational and managerial decisions, as well as to strengthen its mobilization efforts and products under a clear narrative around IDB Lab’s value proposition.
What you’ll do:
The objective of the consultancy is to provide technical and analytical support to advance the Investment Unit’s strategic goals, participating in the design and implementation of strategic initiatives to improve its operational model and capabilities.
The consultant will be mainly tasked with:
- Work alongside IDB Lab’s Chief Investment Officer in the implementation of the strategic priorities for INV, identifying and preparing a pipeline of activities around each strategic priority, helping to manage change in IDB Lab’s operational model, supporting INV colleagues in conducting improvement in different dimensions of the business model, including the new direct equities (venture capital) and fund of funds model, and better defining use of financial products. Help translate the strategy objectives into OKRs.
- Conducting strategic initiatives across IDB Lab units related to strengthening the value proposition of the institution through exploring synergies between business lines and helping deliver priority initiatives internally and with entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Support the elaboration of IDB Lab’s investment thesis and areas of focus within each of its thematic circles (such as fintech, edtech, healthtech, among others), helping colleagues working across different topics/geographies to maximize IDB Lab’s systemic impact towards LAC’s most pressing and persistent developmental challenges via early stage and innovative investments.
- Support the Investment Unit in the design/redesign and improvement of its supervision tools, as well as better document Due Diligence Guidelines and processes. Provide operational support, insights and recommendations for strategic business development initiatives and for portfolio management, in order to keep IDB Lab as the principal early-stage innovation ecosystem player in LAC region.
- Participate in the development of mobilization efforts and IDB Lab-wide relationship strategic relationships with relevant public and private sector partners, stakeholders and key players in innovation ecosystems across the region to influence their support and contribution on current and future operations, especially by leveraging partners’ expertise and capital mobilization to IDB Lab’s unique value proposition.
- Assess how IDB Lab could support companies with Business to Government (B2G) business models, and if viable, make recommendations for a strategy on the best instruments to support it.
- Support project teams in the analysis, and design of investment projects testing the new equity investment guidelines being considered by IDB Lab, including the preparation of project pitches, and occasionally participating in project design/due diligence missions during design process.
- Provide support and engage in business development activities aiming at unlocking opportunities for new financing, connections or knowledge projects in areas identified as of strategic value to IDB Lab’s Business Plan.
What you’ll need:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, in areas related to Economics, Business, Finance, Financial Economics, Entrepreneurship and Innovation fields, or related fields.
- Languages: Proficient in English and Spanish or Portuguese.
- Experience: at least three years of experience in top-tier managing consulting or business/investment strategy role, with clear exposure to economic development, venture investments and entrepreneurship ecosystems. Experience in Latin America and the Caribbean with in-depth understanding of LAC’s developmental challenges and macroeconomic/social context in a must, direct experience with business transformation in multiple LAC countries will be highly valued. Prior experience with change management and business transformation with concrete business results in an international business environment will be highly valued.
Core and Technical Competencies:
- Excellent strategic analysis, project management and effective/collaborative teamwork
- Ability to assess and value investment projects
- Ability to dialogue and elaborate sharp narratives and presentations in areas of venture investment and entrepreneurship ecosystem.
- Ability to write high quality technical documents in both Spanish/Portuguese and English.
- Insight-based data analysis in multiple platforms (excel, tableau, stata)
- Project management and change management skills
- Category and modality: Consultant.
- Contract duration: 12 months.
- Starting date: November, 2020.
- Place(s) of work: Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Responsible person: Chief, Investment Unit (LAB/INV).
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.
About us: The Multilateral Investment Fund (IDB Lab), member of the Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDBG) serves as an IDBG innovation laboratory to promote development through the private sector by identifying, supporting, testing, and piloting new solutions to development challenges and seeking to create opportunities for the poor and vulnerable populations in the Latin American and Caribbean region. The IDB Lab works with leading organizations to facilitate and foster the generation of scalable solutions to the challenges facing Latin America and the Caribbean. Most of our partners are known for their potential to innovate, their local knowledge and their ability to promote and scale the solutions developed within our partnership.
Visa and Work Permit: The Bank, pursuant to applicable policies, may submit a visa request to the applicable immigration authorities; however, the granting of the visa is at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of the candidate to obtain the necessary visa or work permits required by the authorities of the country(ies) in which the services will be rendered to the Bank. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa or work permit to render services to the Bank the contractual offer will be rescinded
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”