Student Volunteer (Undergrad) Summmer 2020
Department Of Justice
 Detroit, MI
  • Duties




The Eastern District of Michigan is seeking outstanding candidates for a Student undergrad internship to assist in our mission. The internship will begin in the Summer term of 2020. The start and end dates are negotiable, but we ask that our interns commit to at least ten weeks of service.

Learn more about this agency


If selected for this position, you will join a well-respected team that is responsible for Administrative Support assistance. Typical work assignments will include clerical tasks as specifically assigned by supervisor or office staff member.

  • Operates copying machine. Displays working familiarity with essential machine features to ensure the required number of copies are produced in the proper format. Collates and staples material as necessary.
  • Answers telephone and refers callers to staff members or takes messages as appropriate.
  • Makes recurring and special messenger trips as necessary.
  • Sorts and arranges material for filing and files material in alphabetical, numerical or chronological order.

Performs other related duties as assigned.

Travel Required

Not required

Supervisory status


Promotion Potential


  • Job family (Series)

0999 Legal Occupations Student Trainee

  • Requirements



Conditions of Employment

  • You must be a United States Citizen or National.
  • Background Investigation, credit check, and drug test required.
  • You must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable.
  • You must meet half-time student enrollment requirements.
  • You must submit a transcript or proof of enrollment with your application.
  • You must be at least 16 years of age or older.
  • You must meet all qualification requirements upon the closing date of this announcement.


To be eligible for this internship ALL of the following requirements must be met:

  • Student Status: Definition of a student - applicant must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, two-year or four-year college or university, graduate/professional school, or certificate program equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study (go to to verify accreditation status) pursuant to 5 CFR 362. You must be considered in good academic standings by the school. Individuals must be taking at least a half-time academic, vocational, or technical course load leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate. “Half-time“ is defined by the school in which the student is enrolled.
  • Grade Point Average: You must have at least a 2.5 GPA.
  • Citizenship: Student Interns must be United States citizens or owe permanent allegiance to the United States. (Currently, natives of American Samoa, Swains Island and certain inhabitants of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are the only groups that owe permanent allegiance to the United States.)Background Investigation: You must successfully complete a background investigation to determine your suitability for Federal employment.
  • Volunteer Agreement: All interns are required to sign the Participant Agreement.
  • Qualification requirements as outlined below.

First year (second semester), second-year, and third-year undergraduate students are encouraged to apply. Strong academic background, excellent research and writing skills, an eye for detail, and a commitment to fairness and integrity supporting the administration of justice. Applicant must be a U. S. citizen and willing to commit to 10 continuous weeks of service, generally working 16 hours per week. Applicants are subject to a background investigation due to the sensitive nature of the work performed by the USAO


All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at an institution that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.

Foreign Education Note: You may use foreign education to meet qualification requirements if you send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency in with your transcript. It is your responsibility to timely provide such evidence by submitting proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency with your application materials. All documentation must be in English or include an English translation.