Transdev is the largest private sector operator of multiple modes of passenger transit in North America, providing bus, rail, paratransit, shuttle, sedan and taxi services. We manage over 200 transportation contracts for cities, transit authorities and airports, providing safe and sustainable mobility solutions. Our mission is to improve public transportation, to enhance quality of life and combat global warming. Operates a streetcar through city streets for the purpose of carrying passengers in a safe manner and in accordance with city, state and federal laws, as well as Transdev and M-1 RAIL rules and policies. Ensures that the highest quality of streetcar service is delivered to customers. Safety and dependability are required traits of successful applicants.
- Operates a streetcar in revenue, non-revenue service and the streetcar storage yard and maintenance facility in strict compliance with M-1 RAIL and Transdev's rules, policies and procedures. Adheres to all traffic safety laws, regulations, standard operating and emergency procedures
- Acts in an appropriate, professional manner at all times with the fellow employees, the public and customers
- Operates communication system in accordance with radio protocols and FCC regulations; announces station stops, communicates with passengers and handles events related to automatic equipment failure announcements and emergencies
- Troubleshoots mechanical and electrical failures utilizing on-board computerized diagnostic equipment, circuit breaker readouts, brake indicators and bypass switches under the direction of Rail Streetcar Supervisors, the Superintendent of Operations and/or other designated management staff. Operates streetcar in unusual conditions where specific functions i.e. propulsion, braking, etc., are rendered inoperative.
- Operates manual track switches as directed
- Uses a variety of keys, levers and buttons to activate the streetcar and accelerate
- Performs streetcar pre-trip and post-trip inspections in accordance with standard procedures and general orders and notices.
- Assists in acceptance and commissioning of new streetcars and associated equipment
- Responsible to report any unusual occurrences during the course of duty including vehicle and maintenance-of-way issues to Supervisors
- Completes all required reports accurately at the end of scheduled shift
- Works flagging duties as assigned
- Assists in providing on-the-job instruction to student operators as required
- Completes all other job related duties as assigned
- Communicate with Maintenance staff regarding equipment observations and malfunctions
Education, Licensing, and Certifications:
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be a minimum of twenty-one (21) years of age
- Possess a valid Michigan Driver License
- Possess a Michigan CDL or be able to obtain one within 3 weeks of notice of selection
- Must pass Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination including random drug and alcohol screens
- Must be able to successfully complete the Streetcar Operator Training Program and be certified to operate an M-1 RAIL Streetcar
- Must be able to be re-certified periodically on Standard Operating Procedures, rules, and hands on proficiency
- Previous professional transportation experience in streetcar/LRV, transit bus, school bus and trucking desired but not necessary
- Satisfactory performance and attendance in previous positions
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Ability to maintain a high level of concentration, dependability, reliability and safety
- Ability to write clear concise reports
- Ability to speak clearly, distinctly and effectively in a variety of situations using tact and diplomacy
- Ability to exercise prudent and timely judgement in standard and emergency situations
- Criminal background check
- References and Interview
- Verification of previous employment
- DMV Records check
- Drug and Alcohol Screen
Reach Above Shoulder
Squat or Kneel
Bend from Waist
Other Physical Requirements: 20/20 or corrected to 20/20 vision. Ability to distinguish colors on warning lights, traffic and train signals, peripheral vision, depth perception. Ability to hear normal conversations, warning sounds, emergency vehicle sirens, radio transmissions
For more information please visit our website at www.transdevna.com/careers
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
Lifting, pulling and pushing are among the physical requirements of performing work in this position. Specific required limits of weight are determined by location site.
Transdev is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally protected status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
Drug free workplace
If based in the United States, applicants must be eligible to work in US without restrictions for any employer at any time; be able to pass a drug screen and background check
Job Locations US-MI-Detroit
Posted Date 2 months ago (12/3/2019 1:51 PM)
Requisition ID 2019-11570
Position Category Rail
Internal Reference 285
Company/Division Transdev Rail