Under regular supervision, and according to established procedures, performs a variety of routine laboratory support procedures including collecting, processing, order entry, and transport of laboratory specimens and materials. Interacts with patients, laboratory staff, and caregivers in a courteous and professional manner.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares patient specimens for laboratory testing with particular emphasis on the pre-analytic and post-analytic processes.
- Enters patient demographic and test order information into lab information systems according to training protocols and in a timely manner. Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- May perform blood sample collection or phlebotomy as a primary duty in some locations and must demonstrated competency, productivity, and compassion on a sustained basis.
- Understands and follows HFHS Standards of Excellence to support a culture of exceptional customer service skills when interacting with patients, co-workers, and caregivers
- Reviews laboratory request forms for complete demographic and order entry information and resolves discrepancies as needed. Exercises care in specimen handling and order entry to protect the identify and integrity of samples.
- Within established parameters, and with appropriate competency training and supervisor approval, may perform selected CLIA waived tests.
- Complies with established departmental and institutional policies and procedures, objectives, quality assessment and improvement programs, safety, environmental, and infection control standards. Helps ensure a safe work place. Reports any unsafe condition to supervisors.
- Assists in the training of employees and students. Attends and participates in department continuing education and in-service programs.
- May instruct patients and health care staff in the proper methods for lab specimen collection and handling. Handles routine inquiries from patients and staff.
- Within established parameters, may perform a variety of clerical tasks, transport specimens, prepare samples for testing, operate autoclaves and glassware cleaning equipment, systems, record temperatures, and use specified laboratory equipment.
- May perform other duties as requested or required to maintain operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and demonstrate exceptional customer service skills is required.
- For positions requiring phlebotomy, a minimum of two months training and experience in phlebotomy is required. Training and experience can be obtained in a formal program or in a volunteer program under the oversight of an experienced phlebotomist who supplies a reference.
- For assignments requiring travel off-site, candidates must possess and maintain a valid Michigan motor vehicle license and reliable transportation with insurance.
- Experience in a hospital or clinic laboratory is preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology preferred.
- Must meet or exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards, and behaviors as outlined in the HFHS Customer Service policy as summarized below: Communication Understanding Sensitivity Teamwork Ownership Motivation Excellence Respect
- Must practice the customer service skills as provided through ongoing training and in-services.
- Must possess the following personal qualities:
- Be self-directed; Be flexible and committed to the team concept;
- Demonstrate teamwork, initiative, and willingness to learn;
- Possess interpersonal skills and communication skills;
- Be willing to instruct others; and Be open to new learning experiences.
- Regularly exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens, organs and tissues. Occasional exposure to radiation hazards.
- Exposures to odorous and/or toxic chemicals and specimens.
- Must be capable of standing and walking for prolonged periods to perform work duties.
- Must be able to perform computer order entry in an accurate manner according to peer based performance standards of productivity.