Housekeeping Houseperson - Part Time (Detroit)
The Housekeeping Houseperson is responsible to maintain trash/linen removal, maintain overall cleanliness of the assigned area (including guest room corridors, public areas, storage areas, and service landings), and maintain inventory levels of supplies for Guest Room Attendants and other housekeeping department staff while providing excellent guest service. All duties are to be performed in accordance with federal, state, local laws, regulations, and ordinances, as well as department and Company policies, practices, and procedures, within the framework and intent of the MGM Grand Detroit Statement.
- Maintains inventory levels of supplies including, but not limited to, bed and bath linens, toiletries, cleaning supplies, paper supplies, and guest room amenities.
- Delivers supplies to Guest Room Attendants and other housekeeping department staff and monitors available stock.
- Moves inventory products from receiving area to designated areas.
- Removes trash from guest floor service landings.
- Vacuums and shampoos carpeting in guest room corridors, public areas and within guests rooms. Moves guest room furniture, as assigned.
- Removes room services carts and/or trays and delivers to the appropriate areas.
- Reports unusual room conditions and other equipment in need of repair to supervisor.
- Ensures that assigned areas are kept clean and neat including removing and replenishing linen from hampers, as well as removing trash in a timely manner. Moves and transports full linen hampers to designated areas.
- Cleans and dusts property fixtures.
- Delivers linen supplies to designated areas. Provides clean linen to appropriate personnel.
- Retrieves and delivers guest laundry and/or shoe shine per guest request.
- Records any guests’ outgoing and incoming laundry. Compares incoming guests’ laundry with outgoing lists. Reports any missing laundry item to the supervisor. Informs appropriate personnel of any discrepancies that might occur.
- Organizes and moves all dirty laundry to designated area.
- Follows all procedures for safety, general cleaning, deep cleaning, and mattress-flipping.
- Functions as a Guest Room Attendant on an as needed basis.
- Promotes and maintains the highest level of customer service to all guests while staying alert to their needs.
- Responds effectively to guest inquiries related to MGM Grand Detroit and the downtown Detroit area providing excellent guest service.
- Resolves guest complaints within scope of authority; otherwise refers the matter to management. Notifies supervisor and/or Security of all unusual events, circumstances, missing items, or alleged theft.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three months housekeeping or hospitality experience preferred.
- Excellent guest service and hospitality skills.
- Strong problem solving and listening skills.
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Bilingual abilities preferred.
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds at a time.
- Ability to push and pull heavy items and equipment.
- Ability to perform various activities such as constant standing, walking, frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, and squatting.
- Ability to work in an environment where pipe, cigar, and cigarette smoking is permitted.
- Ability to multi-task several activities and duties simultaneously.
- Ability to function and act independently.
- Ability to work well with people, in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written & oral.
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment, under short time constraints, and within established deadlines.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and holidays.