Specialized Pediatric Transport RN. Utilizes the nursing process to provide critical care, and stabilization for patients in the helicopter, ground ambulance and hospital environments according to recognized nursing standards
Functions autonomously and independently within the parameters established by transport policies and protocols, or in collaboration with physicians within policy and legal limitations
Works collaboratively and cooperatively with the transport teams, Life Flight, hospital staff.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Utilizes the nursing process to provide critical care, and stabilization for patients in the helicopter, ground ambulance and hospital environments according to recognized nursing standards
- Functions autonomously and independently within the parameters established by transport policies and protocols, or in collaboration with physicians within policy and legal limitations.
- Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient's care.
- Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
- Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
- Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare team members within their scope of practice and holds them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
- Utilizes critical thinking in developing nursing interventions while maintaining responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
Clinical Excellence and Patient Education
- Assesses and coordinates resources and personnel to facilitate safety, quality care, and rapid transport of critically ill patients from a scene or a designated referral facility. (C)
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with the transport teams, Life Flight, hospital staff
- Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient's and their families' age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
- Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
- Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, DNV, OSHA, FAA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the designated time frame.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
- This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
- Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Preferred or Specialized
Graduate of accredited nursing program
3-5 years full time pediatric emergency or pediatric critical care experience. Other experience considered based on individual.
Pediatric intensive care experience highly desired.
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in Iowa
Current BCLS, PALS, ACLS
Prefer CPEN or other national certification.
Valid driver's license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities. May drive a UPH vehicle, rental or own vehicle.