Under the supervision of an RN provides direct patient care. Performs procedures for patients and provides technical services and support. Successful performance contributes to a holistic approach to the delivery of services, improved patient care, and a high level of satisfaction from patients and families.
% of Time
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Assists patients with activities of daily living. (C)
- Answers patient call lights. (C)
- Assists with simple procedures as defined in work area..
- Takes and records vital signs and weights. (C)
- Monitors and records intake and output. (C)
- Transports patients, equipment, supplies, and specimens including transport of patients with traction. (F)
- Assists in maintaining a clean, orderly and safe environment. (C)
- Performs procedures specific to the assigned area. (C)
- Utilizes a holistic approach (considering physical, psych/social, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients served in the assigned service area. (C)
- Labels all specimens in accordance with standards. (C)
- Demonstrates ability to consistently meet the department work schedule. (C)
- Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service. (C)
- Balances team and individual responsibilities, objective and open to other's views, gives and welcomes feedback, contributes to positive team goals, puts success of team above own interest. (C)
- Assists in maintaining a safe and therapeutic milieu
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within designated time frame.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
- This position may be assigned a specific mission to address in an emergency situation to assist in disaster response and recovery as part of the UPHDM Hospital Emergency Incident Command System. Situations of a critical nature may require an individual to perform multiple tasks until additional support can be obtained.
- Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health's values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
- Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
- Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
- Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
- Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
- Enthusiastically engage in our work.
- Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
- Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
- Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
- Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
- Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
- Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
- Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
- Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing or IA Board of Nursing approved nursing program. Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is preferred.
Qualifications: Current active Iowa License to practice as a RN. Minimum of six months RN experience.
Department of Labor Level III (Medium) Work. Candidates must successfully complete a post-offer, pre-employment strength and agility test at Medium Level of Work.
- PLEASE NOTE: All newly licensed RNs with less than six months of RN experience and who are interested in this department or any other Acute RN role within UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, are encouraged and required to participate in the RN Residency program. Newly licensed nurses must apply for the Registered Nurse Residency position.