Penn Ave Cardiology Clinic- Des Moines, IA
Full Time Benefits
The Hospitalist Nurse is a registered nurse who collaborates with the hospital care team and floor staff to coordinate and manage the process of patient care from the point of admission through discharge and hand-off to their primary care provider.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are essential to the position (not a task list). o not include if less than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties should be action oriented and avoid vague or general statements.
% of Time
- Requires bedside marketing to educate patients & their families on what the role of the Hospitalist Program is. At the same time, verifies primary care provider and determines any barriers to discharge & set expectations for hospital stay.
- Actively participates in morning report/hand-off and can serve in the role of census coordinator.
- Collaborates with hospital care team to ensure that all current labs, test results, consults, orders, etc. are carried out in a timely fashion.
- Initiates proactive planning and coordination of the patient's plan for the day and plan for the stay with the rest of the team.
- Participates actively in quality improvement initiatives; reviews core measure indicators and ensures that the team goals are being met.
- Assess with patients & their family members that their needs are being met & collaborates to set up follow-up needs upon discharge
- Obtain medical records & assists with medication reconciliation.
- Required to occasionally set-up care team meetings with both physicians and families about ongoing hospital care, safe discharge plan & disposition
- Serve as continuity for patients during physician hand-offs
- Collaborates with physician and care coordinators regarding care delays
- Resolves post-discharge issues needing follow-up & provide post-discharge homecoming calls to follow-up with high-risk patients.
- Educates patients at the bedside and over the phone; needs to recognize limits of when to collaborate with a physician regarding the patients care either in the hospital or during a homecoming call.
- Fill out documents for both patients and family as needed regarding hospital stay.
- F/u on lab and other pending items post discharge.
- Coordinate care with patient until patient has been seen by established or new pcp provider.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health's values in the performance of job duties and responsibilities
- Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable great teams.
- Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and regions.
- Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and perspectives.
Own The Moment:
- Connect with each person treating them with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect
- Enthusiastically engage in our work.
- Accountable for our individual actions and our team performance.
- Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
- Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
- Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
- Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and celebrating our successes.
- Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
- Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our communities.
- Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Graduate of an accredited program for Registered Nurses.
- 3-5 years of nursing experience preferred.
- Current license to practice nursing in the State of Iowa/Illinois for Registered Nurse.
- Ability to use the computer effectively in order to navigate several electronic programs related to patient care.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.