About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup building Mach-2.2 passenger airliners. Think Concorde but 75% more affordable to fly. Imagine a day trip from New York to London—3h15 each way. Fly to London for a business meeting and be home in time to tuck your children into bed. Boom's first prototype will rollout by summer of 2020.
Boom’s outstanding team comes from places like Amazon, SpaceX, Scaled Composites, and Virgin Galactic. Team members have collectively contributed to 40+ new air and space vehicles, including the Falcon 9, Virgin SpaceShipTwo, and the Joint Strike Fighter.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Emerson Collective, Y Combinator, Caffeinated Capital, and SV Angel as well as individuals including Sam Altman, Paul Graham, Ron Conway, Michael Marks, and Greg McAdoo.
At Boom, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
Boom is seeking an experienced Mass Properties Engineer to participate in the development of a supersonic commercial transport. This individual will work closely with the aerodynamics, propulsion, systems, and structures teams to develop high fidelity mass property characteristics in support aircraft design. Must be a excellent communicator and comfortable working in a dynamic, fast paced environment. An understanding of the best practices for mass properties accounting within a Product Data Management (PDM) system is important.
- Provide mass properties engineering in accordance with industry standards and Society of Allied Weight Engineers (SAWE) best practices. Analyze mass properties impacts of internal and external modifications, and impacts to systems and subsystems. Analyze and account for changes in mass properties throughout the program life-cycle.
- Assess and improve upon current conceptual design weights predictions algorithms. Validate and document these methods against existing aircraft. Integrate these tools into an existing multidisciplinary optimization (MDO) code.
- Model and calculate mass properties data to support all phases of project development. Translate customer requirements into mass models for development of mission profiles. Analyze mission configurations using 2D drawings and 3D CAD.
- Generate mass properties distributions for modifications and integrate with OEM data for input to structural loads models. Manage subcontractor efforts related to mass properties including vendor weight control. Lead weight reduction tasks.
- Articulate mass properties requirements, risks, opportunities, and status at formal design reviews to both internal and external customers.
- Generate FAA mass properties documentation meeting requirements of airworthiness certification including weight and balance manuals, supplements, and equipment lists.
- Perform weight and balance measurements of components and final products. Coordinate mass properties requirements with multi-disciplinary teams including maintenance, production, logistics support, flight test, flight operations and other disciplines.
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Requires a BS in Related Field
- 5+ Years of Related Experience
- Familiarity with SAWE and American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Recommended Practices and Standards, Automated Weight and Balance System (AWBS) and FAA airworthiness regulations.
- Skill in programming with a scripting language such as Matlab or Python
- Knowledge and experience in aircraft operations, familiarity with Microsoft Office, and 3D CAD tools
- Familiarity with aerospace system design and integration, manufacture, and maintainability, including familiarity with best practices in mechanical, electrical, and systems design.
- Must be a problem solver capable of working alone or with a technical team in a fast-paced environment.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.