As an employer, we foster an exciting culture of innovation that offers challenging and dynamic work to unlock the potential of our people. We are collaborative, fast-paced, engaged and relentlessly focused on our goals.
Attracting and retaining the right people is the key to our business strategy. We provide our employees with a variety of career growth opportunities and programs that recognize and reward demonstrated results. Our work environment promotes knowledge sharing, transparency and innovation.
Posting Close Date:
Ovintiv is a leading North American energy producer focused on developing its strong portfolio of diverse resource plays producing natural gas, oil and natural gas liquids. The company is pursuing the key business objectives of maintaining financial strength, optimizing capital investments in its highest return projects, maximizing profitability through operating efficiencies, reducing costs and leveraging flexibility through market fundamentals.
By partnering with employees, community organizations and other businesses, Ovintiv contributes to the strength and sustainability of the communities where it operates.
Ovintiv's success is based on its people and the company strives to hire the very best. Ovintiv looks for those who pursue innovation, bring leadership and passion to their work and strengthen the team they join.
Ovintiv's program is a comprehensive summer internship designed to provide a solid foundation of knowledge and experiential training while giving students the opportunity to apply what they are learning in school in a real-world setting. As an intern you will spend the summer working closely with an experienced mentor and be assigned a value-added project and various other responsibilities intended to provide you with learning opportunities while delivering meaningful contributions to Ovintiv.
THE POSITION – Cybersecurity Analyst / IT Business Analyst / Systems Analyst / Data Scientist
We are currently seeking summer interns to join our growing organization for a three-month term starting May 2021 to August 2021. In this position, you will provide a thorough analysis of each business situation and support delivery of IT solutions. You must be a natural communicator who can gain consensus, be accurate, understandable and provide actionable suggestions to guide our business to be more functional, more successful, and to raise our standards across the company.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in short-term or long-term projects, addressing a range of issues and needs.
- Work with management or other staff to learn about their goals and requirements.
- Understand situational interpretations and analyze data to identify and understand challenges.
- Present and explain findings to leadership team and individuals.
- Provide advice or suggestions for improvements that meet our objectives.
- Formulate plans for implementation of recommendations.
- Negotiate and overcome objections from stakeholders and various levels of management.
- Aptitude for analytical and creative thinking.
- Excellent listening skills with an ability to communicate with professionals from a variety of disciplines.
- Work as a team player.
You also possess the following qualities that will contribute to our success and the success of our clients:
Disciplined and Results Focused: You effectively combine analytical skills with business acumen to structure problems, deliver solutions and communicate insights.
Innovative: You are a self-starter and a finisher. You enjoy contributing to the growth of an organization. You show commitment to the success of your team.
Bias for Action: You set ambitious goals for yourself. You are energetic, enjoy a fast-paced environment and thrive in taking on responsibility.
- Enrolled as a full-time student, pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Applied Computing, Engineering, Management Information Systems, Data Science or related program.
- Available May 2021 – August 2021.
Students selected for an interview will be contacted to arrange a suitable interview time. No telephone inquiries, please; only those students selected for an interview will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in working at Ovintiv and wish you success in your job search.
Additional Information on Positions:
Cybersecurity Analyst: As a member of the Cybersecurity team you will work to keep Ovintiv IT systems secure while meeting the needs of the business. The team is responsible for the technical systems that keep Ovintiv's network secure and creating awareness of security risks and mitigations across the company. You will have an opportunity to work with the technologies and tools in place and to present security concepts and training to groups in and outside of IT.
IT Business Analyst: As an Information Technology (IT) Business Analyst, you will be a primary IT representative facilitating large and small scale IT solutions to meet business needs and client expectations. Our team contributes to the IT strategy by working closely with the respective clients to understand the unique business drivers, develop and deliver solutions to problems and opportunities associated with different areas. Our team is also responsible for driving solutions through the IT lifecycle from concept, implementation, to support. Common attributes of an IT Business Analyst include analytical thinking, strong communicator, ability to see/present options, trusted advisor, and behavioral qualities such as ethical, trustworthy and organized.
Systems Analyst: As a member of the Application Support team within Ovintiv's IT Shared Services organization, you are regarded as a technical strategic business partner. You will have technical skills that include a general knowledge of software, hardware, databases, operating systems, networks, architecture, data integration, and dependencies. You are also expected to have a general knowledge of business operations and needs. Your responsibilities include:
- Software license management (ex. reporting license utilization to IT Advisors).
- Administration management (ex. ensures completeness and accuracy of application documentation).
- Continuous improvement (ex. document and identify opportunities to improve performance metrics for applications and other IT areas.
- Coordination of technical action items for IT initiatives (ex. proof of concepts, software application upgrades, issue and root-cause investigation, database backup strategy, quick wins and mode 2 development opportunities).
Data Scientist: As a Data Scientist, you will be a part of our Enterprise Information Management (EIM) department responsible for providing a solid data foundation, technical literacy, and tooling to provide data-driven solutions to robust business problems. An ideal candidate possesses a strong understanding of statistical and machine learning concepts such as: regression, Bayesian, clustering, non-linear modeling and neural networks. As a Data Scientist Intern, major responsibilities include:
- Designing solutions, providing recommendations and supporting working teams of engineers and analysts in the EIM ecosystem.
- Solutions often include designing and building data pipelines and applying statistical and machine learning models on data sets to provide valuable insights.
Ovintiv is an EEO/AA employer.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to respond to any individual inquiry about the status of your application.