About Our Job
This position is currently funded through December 2020; however, there is a possibility of the positions being extended.
This position pays $20.59 per hour.
This is an on-call position which will work no more than 39 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules. New hires can expect to work a minimum of 10 hours and up to 39 hours, depending on availability of the individual and needs of the department.
Denver's Department of Public Health and Environment (DDPHE) is dedicated to advancing Denver's environmental and public health goals. DDPHE works collaboratively with city, state and community partners to conduct education, community engagement, and enforcement to promote healthy people, healthy pets, and a sustainable environment. DDPHE oversees a number of services related to public health and the environment and is comprised of seven divisions: the Executive Director's Office; Community Health; Public Health Inspections; Denver Animal Protection; the Office of Medical Examiner; and Environmental Quality. The Department's programs are funded from many sources, including the General Fund, Environmental Services Enterprise Fund, state grants, federal grants, private grants, contracts, and donations. For more information on DDPHE's programs and services, visit the DDPHE website.
The City and County of Denver is seeking numerous Emergency Service Workers to support COVID-19 response efforts by assisting with various positions to support our COVID-19 community testing sites. The sites are open 7 days per week and will primarily be staffed Monday – Friday from 7:30-4:30, with rotations for weekend shifts. Shifts are typically at least 5 hours long. Positions and hours will vary as needs of the Department change. All candidates hired would perform one of the following duties and could be rotated to other posts as needed:
- View Driver's license through car window and document information to create label for test kit via laptop. Print label to adhere to test kit envelope and provide labeled envelope to test kit staff.
Test Kit Distributor
- Give kit to driver, explain how to self-administer the test using the swab in the kit, explain proper placement of swap into vial and place vial in labeled envelope.
- Pick up completed test packet envelopes and drop off at designated point. Runner will also maintain kit supply at each drive-up station.
- Assist with traffic control, crowd (line) management, and logistics (site setup/take down, resupply, etc.).
These positions are outside and require standing and walking for extended periods of time. You must be able to safely wear personal protective equipment and be comfortable with visual exposure to nasal swabbing. Depending on department needs, you may be working at any of the following facilities/locations:
- Department Operations Center located at 101 W. Colfax Suite 800 (The Denver Post Building)
- Montbello Recreation Center Testing Site
- Paco Park Testing Site
- In the field completing Public Health Enforcement Investigations and Complaint Response (various businesses and locations throughout Denver)
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Previous experience working in a COVID-19 response capacity or emergency management.
- Previous experience in a customer service capacity
- Attention to detail, positive attitude and flexibility
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: None
- Education and Experience Equivalency: None
- License/Certification Requirement: None
About Everything Else
CJ3272 Emergency Service Worker
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$17.72 - $25.87
$20.59 per hour
Dept of Public Health & Environment
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.