Business Intelligence Engineer
Are you passionate about using your analytical skills to help build innovative devices and services and make a global impact? The Amazon Device Services organization is hiring a BI Engineer to help us use big data to understand customer behavior and deliver better experiences across Amazon devices.
Key job responsibilities
This is a high visibility role that will require working with business, product management, and technical teams. Primary areas of focus include:
- Interface with internal business teams, gathering requirements and delivering scalable BI solutions.
- Own the design, implementation, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, and dashboards, to drive key business decisions.
- Identify and investigate new data sources that can be used to build a holistic view for customer engagement. Partner with technology teams to define, extract, transform, and load data from many data sources using SQL and other tools.
- Automate and simplify self-service or reporting pipelines, including improving ETL workflows, automatic alarming, prototyping data science models and performance tuning.
- Analyze customer and product trends to determine drivers of engagement.
- Conduct deep dive analyses of business problems and data issues and formulate conclusions and recommendations for leadership and technical teams.
- Participate in strategic and tactical planning discussions and provide data insights. Challenge business teams to think differently about how they digest and use the data insights to make informed decisions.
A day in the life
Successful candidates are analytical and possess a passion for developing insights using BI technologies. You should feel comfortable accessing and working with data from multiple sources, and are very strong in SQL. Scripting skills and familiarity with at least one statistics package are desirable. You need to be able to partner with internal stakeholders to help drive the business, generates reports, dive deep on investigations, and write up findings for business and technical audiences. The candidate will need to be a self-starter and comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
About the team
Our organization builds the services that enable critical customer experiences across all Amazon devices such as Kindle, Fire TV, Fire Tablets, and Amazon Echo, in addition to Amazon experiences on 3rd-party devices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, or related technical field.
- 3+ years in business intelligence, analytics, data engineering, market research, or a related field
- Experience with ETL and Excel in a business environment
- Experience coding & developing queries – SQL, HiveSQL
- Experience with data visualization using Tableau, Power BI, QuickSight, or similar tools
- Experience communicating insights to both business and technical teams in written and oral form
- Strong verbal/written communication & data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Engineering, or Operations Research.
- Knowledge of statistics and statistical models as applied to causal inference and experimentation best practices.
- Desire to build new predictive/optimization tools and data models that benefit the business and improve customer experience.
- Experience with modeling sequential data, statistical forecasting, and time series models.
- Experience with one or more of the statistical modeling languages/ toolboxes (R, SAS, Python, Scala).
- Sound business judgment, proven ability to influence others, strong attention to detail, excellent organization skills, and ability to manage multiple projects and responsibilities are critical to success in this position.
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $87.7 - $153.3/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.