The Non-Perishable Manager serves as the primary subject matter expert at store level for all non- perishable departments, including Grocery, Bulk, Vitamins, Frozen, Dairy, Beer and Wine. The successful execution within these departments is the responsibility of the Non-Perishable Manager with oversight from the Store Manager. The Non-Perishable Manager ensures all operational recommendations regarding people, process, partners, and performance for non-perishable departments are provided in a timely manner to the Store Manager. The Non-Perishable Manager oversees the Receiving department, ensuring compliance with all processes. In the Store Manager's absence, the Non-Perishable Manager is expected to make the necessary decisions to maintain effective and efficient operational execution. In this instance, the Non-Perishable Manager will brief the appropriate Regional Trainer to ensure alignment in the decision making. Additionally, the Non-Perishable Manager assists in managing daily operations of an assigned store. The Non-Perishable Manager must plan and prepare work schedules, supervise team members, and ensure compliance with established security, sales, and record keeping procedures and practices. In the absence of the Store Manager, the Non-Perishable Manager assumes complete responsibility for all phases of store operations. Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility in store assignment is also required. Handling large sums of cash in compliance with company standards is required. Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays. Flexibility in store assignment is also required. Handling large sums of cash in compliance with company standards is required.
Overview of Responsibilities
Essential Job Functions
- Complete responsibility for the store in the Store Manager's absence which may routinely involve oversight during the evening hours, including proper closing and security.
- In addition to support of overall store operations, has responsibility for all non-perishable departments, including Grocery, Bulk, Vitamins, Frozen, Dairy, Beer and Wine.
- Oversees Receiving operations.
- Greets customers and maintains good customer relations.
- Looks for areas where improvements in service may be required; implements processes, procedures and/or changes to address these issues.
- Manages all activities related to the non-perishable departments and their team members, including overseeing their training, evaluating their work, rewarding and recognizing their performance; delegating work assignments in a manner that most effectively utilizes their talents and abilities while maximizing profits.
- Provides constructive suggestions and encouragement, sets performance expectations, provides honest feedback, and identifies assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Supports Store Manager with development and direction in the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance.
- Monitors display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensures that products are properly displayed, correctly priced, signed, and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Assists the Store Manager with health, safety and sanitation issues in order to maintain a safe and clean work environment for team members and customers to ensure compliance with all OSHA requirements, other governmental regulations and company standards.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures, including check cashing, security, wage and hour, etc.
- Follows and enforces Sprouts Full at 4 Program.
- Maintains accurate department records on all important matters, including team member performance, disciplinary/corrective actions, cash handling, verification, etc.
- At times may also perform duties of staff to ensure customer needs are met.
- Communicates sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results.
- Manages issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.
- Oversees and monitors handling of cash and accounting. Ensures store is secured and closed properly at the end of the day.
- Focuses on customer satisfaction and needs, ensures that team members provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service.
- Maintains positive working relationships with direct reports, peers, supervisors, suppliers, and customers effectively handling complex or difficult situations involving others.
- Maintains effective contact with team members at all levels in the organization involved in store operations (i.e., Warehouse, Distribution, Regional Directors, Regional Trainers, Merchandising, etc.).
- Motivates others to perform the job and work towards common objectives. Serves as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in team members.
- Writes reports for accidents or other incidents such as when team members or customers are hurt within the store or in the parking lot and processes according to company procedures.
- Responsible for dealing with emergencies, crises, and any problems that arise during the day in the store.
- Develops and trains future leaders.
- Responsible for ensuring dates on merchandise such as dairy products, meats, or baked goods are checked and expired food pulled off the shelves on a regular basis pursuant to Sprouts procedures.
- Responsible for making sure team members are effectively trained.
- Ensures the specials and items advertised in flyers are on the shelves.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 1-3 years retail management experience.
- Degree in business, management, marketing, retailing, communications, advertising, liberal arts, or related field preferred.
- Experience and/or exposure to non-perishable departmental operations.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential.
- Strong orientation to detail and analytical skills.
- Solid problem solving skills and decisiveness.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Proven leadership ability to build, motivate and maintain staff.
- Forklift/power jack training and experience.
- Food Safety certification.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Organization and planning skills.
- Able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Software including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; and extreme cold.
- Fast paced working environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Lift moderately heavy loads up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to bend, reach, kneel, squat.
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Able to push/pull heavy loads.
In addition to a rewarding career, Sprouts offers a comprehensive program to help support you and your family. These programs include: - Competitive pay - Opportunities for career growth - 15% discount for you and one other family member in your household on all purchases made at Sprouts - Flexible schedules - Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Eligibility requirements may apply for the following benefits: - 401(K) Retirement savings plan with a generous company match - Affordable benefit coverage, including medical, dental vision - Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts for healthcare and dependent care - Company paid life insurance and short-term disability coverage
Grow with us!
If you have a passion for inspiring people and a flair for fresh food, consider applying for a job at Sprouts! With a focus on customer service, our neighborhood grocery stores offer high-quality, farm fresh produce, natural meats, plenty of scoop-your-own bulk goods and much more in a fun, friendly, old-fashioned farmer's market setting. Come grow your career in healthy living with a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and teams that pride themselves on empowering others along their journey.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Sprouts' management reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
California Residents: We collect information in accordance with California law, please see here for more information.