The College of Aviation (COA) at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU)—Daytona Beach invites applications and nominations for the position of Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Aviation Maintenance Science. The College seeks a dynamic individual with significant practical and academic experience in the Aviation Maintenance Science (AMS) discipline to teach in the second largest department within the COA. This 9-month visiting faculty appointment is at our campus in Daytona Beach, FL. This position could potentially extend into a long-term appointment based upon university need.
The COA has an FAA-approved Part 147 AMT Program contained within the AMS degree which provides its students excellent opportunities for career advancement. The AMS program at ERAU is taught by dedicated faculty who are also industry professionals. The faculty at ERAU AMS are collaborative, student focused and collegial. The department is looking for a personable and outgoing individual to join our faculty to help reach our strategic goals.
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is the gold standard in Aviation and Aerospace Education. The program draws students from around the world who are dedicated to their future careers. Its talented faculty, state of the art classrooms, lab facilities, and use of instructional best-practices, mean that its graduates are sought after by some of the most prestigious employers in the world.
Reporting to the Department Chairman of Aviation Maintenance Science, the faculty member will lecture, oversee laboratory instruction, collaborate with University faculty, and provide student–centric instruction. The successful candidate will be responsible for writing curriculum, interact with industry professionals, and serve the academic community at Embry-Riddle with distinction. He/she will serve on University task forces, committees, and support their students through advising and mentorship. Faculty in the department will be expected to embrace new teaching methods and be the, “tip of the spear,“ in technological innovation. Safety is always our number one priority. The successful candidate will embrace an active safety management system within the department.
Consideration of applications will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate will have:
- Earned a Bachelor's and Master's from an accredited institution.
- Possess a valid FAA Airframe and Powerplant Certificate.
- Experience in aviation maintenance sciences: civil, military, corporate, general aviation, manufacturer, or airline.
- Experience in an academic environment.
- Experience in developing and maintaining channels of communication with professional groups and industry.
- Experience in maintaining academic excellence with respect to teaching.
- Through collaboration with the department, increase enrollment within ERAU.
- Experience in advising and/or mentoring students enrolled in the program (including appropriate student records for advising).
- Develop strong and competent University curriculum commiserate with the high standards of the department.
- Pilot ratings, unmanned aerial vehicle, and/or space technology experience (preferred)
- EdD or PhD from an accredited University (preferred)
The Visiting Assistant Professor position is expected to begin work no later than January, 2020. Applications should include a CV and a detailed letter discussing aviation experience and teaching philosophy as well as academic qualifications that demonstrate a fit with the AMS Department and the position.