Position Title: Paramedic
Reports To: On-Duty Supervisor/District Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Responsibilities include, but not limited to)
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency calls 24 hours per day, drives a variety of emergency vehicles in all road conditions including inclement weather, dense traffic and rural off-road settings.
- Reads map books and follows written and verbal directions in order to respond in an efficient and safe manner.
- Follows all departmental, local and state driving laws, policies and procedures.
- Uses a variety of communication equipment and appropriately communicates verbally to dispatchers, EMS crews, first responders and other organizations according to departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintains vehicles and equipment in a constant state of readiness and cleanliness.
- Completes daily vehicle and supply checklists and assists with vehicle re-supply, vehicle and equipment decontamination and general readiness-related tasks.
- Immediately reports, in writing, any discrepancies with vehicles, supplies or equipment and their state of readiness.
- Provides direct patient care per Medical Director's authorization and protocols.
- Demonstrates clinical competency in all patient care related instances.
- Demonstrates physical competencies sufficient to allow him/her to lift, carry, transport and extricate patients in all settings, in some cases without assistance.
- Interacts with multiple outside agencies such as Police Departments, Fire Departments and First Responder Organizations.
- Provides satisfactory customer service and projects professionalism in all contacts.
- Successfully and accurately completes patient care reports, billing information and all other associated documentation in a timely manner.
- Works under physically and psychologically taxing conditions to include inclement weather, temperature extremes, hazardous environments, loud noises and high-stress situations.
- High potential for exposure to blood-borne pathogens, dangerous chemicals, sharp objects and fall/trip hazards.
- Performs other duties as assigned to include general housekeeping chores and special projects.
- Must successfully pass departmental skills evaluation and fully complete NEOP process before staffing a truck.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Employees must be able to:
- Lift, carry, balance and push up to 125 pounds (250 pounds with assistance).
- Demonstrate flexibility and physical coordination by bending from the waist and touching toes, squat with legs parallel to the ground, and kneeling with both knees firmly on the ground.
- Repetitive lifting, squatting, stooping and kneeling.
- Climb 20 sets of stairs without rest within 60 seconds.
- Demonstrate fine manual dexterity by performing job related clinical skills (starting IV's, intubating, etc.).
- Have correctable vision adequate to read street signs, see in low light and read small print.
PSYCHOLOGICAL REQUIREMENTS: Employees must be able to:
- Use good judgment and remain calm in high-stress situations.
- Maintain a positive attitude in the face of adversity.
- Have good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Function under situations of extreme fatigue due to little or no rest, extreme temperatures and inclement weather conditions.
- High school graduate or GED
- Certified as a paramedic in the State of Texas
- CPR certification
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- 911 areas - Pre-Hospital Life Support (PHTLS) or International Trauma Life Support (ITLS)
- Communicates effectively
- Read, write and interpret instructions in the English language
- Must possess a valid Texas driver's license and be insurable
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Allegiance is an EEO employer as defined by the EEOC.