53rd Street Family Medicine
- 0 FTR (40 hours/week)
- Please note this medical assistant will be cross-trained to primarily work front desk and be scheduled to work in the clinic in front desk -non-rooming role- regularly*
Certified Medical Assistants UnityPoint Clinic are a major component of a patient's journey. From answering questions, to giving vital information to family members, clinical assistants help ease the minds of everyone who enters the facilities. As one of the first lines of defense in the medical process, clinical assistants lend a major hand in keeping our clinics running smoothly. Lively and energetic clinical assistants will help patients learn and grow. A positive experience is the core of the UnityPoint Clinic mission to give patients the best health care experience. At UnityPoint Clinic, we want your CMA career to benefit you as you help every patient. With training and places for growth, UnityPoint Clinic wants to help you make the most of your education and experience.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills necessary to carry out assigned job duties.
- May be required to draw and collect blood and other samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Administer ordered medical and/or vaccines.
- Responsible for tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients monitoring disease status.
- Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-10 coding.
- Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient's electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
Development and Patient Education
- Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
- Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps, as appropriate to scope and licensure.
- Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization's intranet site.
- Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
- Maintain compliance and behave in a manner consistent with all policies and procedures, including but not limited to Compliance, HIPAA and personnel workplace rules.
- Behave in a manner consistent with all Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
- Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other's views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
- Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Administrator to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants.
- High school diploma required if work is performed in a moderately complex CLIA lab.
- Previous clinical experience in a medical office preferred.
- Computer data entry experience.
- Current CME certification for Certified Medical Assistant and AAMA, NCCT, RMA or NHA (Peoria region only) certification.
- BLS and Mandatory Reporter certification.
- Valid driver's license when driving any vehicle for work-related reasons.
- Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English
- Multicultural sensitivity
- Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
- Customer/patient focused
- Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.