Quality Inspector (Temporary)
Job Title: Quality Inspector (Temporary)
DRS Technologies is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. Focused on defense technology, we develop, manufacture and support a broad range of systems for mission critical and military sustainment requirements, as well as homeland security.
Headquartered in Arlington, VA, the Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo S.p.A. which employs more than 70,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on DRS, please visit our website at www.drs.com.
DRS Naval Power Systems (NPS) a multi-site operation responsible for $350 million of revenue with locations in Milwaukee, WI, Danbury, CT, Fitchburg, MA, and High Ridge, MO with an employee base of approximately 900 employees. NPS is structured into four Lines of Business: Surface, Submarines, Nuclear instrumentation and Controls and Marlo Coil focusing on supporting the power and propulsion needs of the U.S. Navy. We provide engineering, manufacturing and lifetime support of our highly engineered products.
Job Location: Danbury, CT
Performs complex in-process and final inspection activities. Assess product acceptance to ensure conformance to the design as defined by the engineering drawings and/or models.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs complex inspection activities, to assess conformance of products to the design as defined by the engineering drawings and/or models
- Inspects products, components, subassemblies, soldered electronic, cables and harnesses, weldments and/or systems to ensure conformance to requirements
- Adds organizational value by implementing innovative solutions and best practices involved in all processes of the product realization value stream
- Supports Quality Engineers with identifying nonconforming conditions that present existing or impending defective conditions at the system or subsystem level of assembly
- Oversees the preparation of inspection plans and checklists for inspections
- Aids with data collection and root cause analysis investigations
- Generate discrepancy notices and initiate Material Review Board actions
- Perform material movement transactions after completing inspection process
- Specializes in receiving inspection, in-process inspection, process verification/auditing, final inspection, etc
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization
- Ability to follow and comprehend verbal and written instructions as well as present information in both verbal and written form
- Interface with Program Managers, and other internal stakeholders regarding daily work assignments for the quality inspectors.
- Assist the Quality Manager/Supervisor with control of the daily workflow, and assignments for inspectors.
- Interface with on-site DCMA personnel, and inform Quality Manager/Supervisor of issues which require additional attention.
- The individual can write procedures and is responsible for training documentation for Level I and Level II certification.
- The individual is qualified to train and examine Basic, Level I and Level II personnel for certification, and to provide oversight.
- Receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions are only required on new assignments. May require some judgement in resolving issues or in making recommendations.
- Six years of satisfactory performance as a Level II in equivalent inspection or testing activities; or
- A High School diploma plus either:
- Ten years of related experience in equivalent inspection or testing activities; or
- Eight years of related experience in equivalent inspection or testing activities, with at least two years nuclear applications experience, or related nuclear QA experience; or
- An Associate’s Degree in a related discipline plus seven years of related experience in equivalent inspection or testing activities, with at least two years nuclear applications experience, or related nuclear QA experience; or
- A four-year college degree plus five years of related experience in equivalent inspection or testing activities, with at least two years nuclear applications experience, or related nuclear QA experience; or
- Attended and received certification as a trainer in a specific body of knowledge.
- In-depth understanding of IPC J-STD-001, Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies, IPC-A-610, Acceptance of Electronic Assemblies and IPC/WHMA-A-620, Requirements and Acceptance for Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies. Common mechanical techniques (such as geometric dimensioning and tolerance practices)
- Ability to use various measurement devices (calipers, pin gauges, go/no-go gauges, etc) to verify mechanical part compliance
- Experience reading mechanical drawings and able to verify parts dimensions against drawing requirements
- Experience using a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM), Optical comparator or other complex inspection systems is desired
- Excellent organizational skills, and knowledge of internal quality procedures related to In-process/final inspection.
- Ability to professionally interface with various plant personnel and government employees.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The lead Inspector sets the standard for professionalism for the department, and must operate with a high degree of integrity and trust to ensure compliance.
- Strong knowledge of internal computer systems and programs, and ability to analyze workflow requirements
We offer a very competitive base salary commensurate with experience and a business culture which rewards good performance. The Company offers a full range of employee benefits.
Candidates must be a US citizen and meet DRS security standards as imposed by DoD, including the issuance of any necessary security clearance by the US government within a reasonable time after commencement of employment.
DRS Technologies is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital or veteran status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law. #MS #NPS