Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in sport assigned. Contribute to the education program as a whole and to the growth of students involved in athletics.
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and improve the abilities of student athletes in the sport assigned
- Manage and supervise athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and good sportsmanship
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and put in place instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of student athletes
- Establish performance criteria for competition and evaluate students' athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation
- Work with athletic coordinator to schedule competitions and coordinate arrangements
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of coaching program and make changes based on
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports on out-of-town trips
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain a current inventory of all fixed assets within program
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing campus athletic equipment.
- Performs all other tasks and duties as assigned
- All federally funded incumbents of this position must comply with time and effort reporting requirements through personnel activity reports or periodic certification, as appropriate
- Bachelor's degree in a related field; valid Texas teacher certificate
- Four years experience as a coach or a participant in sport assigned
- Must have experience or a desire to work in a major metropolitan school district.
- General knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules
- Demonstrated ability to instruct and supervise student athletes