The Underwriting Technician contributes to the success of the underwriting organization by working to drive growth, improve profitability, retain accounts, and service producers. The Underwriting Technician is responsible for reviewing and analyzing all property documents to provide timely, practical underwriting decisions to agents, and for delivering outstanding customer service by communicating decisions effectively both internally and externally. Acts as an integral member of the Underwriting team by providing support within established performance standards and priorities when cases fall above their authority or level of expertise. Ensures all related activities are delivered in a manner consistent with customer service focus, quality and timelines.
- Review applications for complete underwriting information.
- Correspond with agents regarding insufficient/questionable information provided on applications.
- Process Cancellation Notices for cancelled/rejected applications.
- Reinstate approved applications.
- Analyzes account specific information and summarizes information and findings for Underwriting Territory Manager review (i.e. loss information, description of operations, financials, risk control reports).
- Researches and provides underwriting analysis of account information and ensures overall regulatory compliance.
- Works to ensure timely account set-up, clearing, rating, issuance and renewal prep activities.
- Coordinates account processing and servicing.
- Manages account documentation and ensures file completeness and quality (correspondence, proposals, agreement letters, endorsements, cancellations, etc.).
- Communicates with external producers/customers and serves as the first-line point of contact on account related matters (Responds to questions and resolves issues in a timely manner).
- Provides administrative support and participates in ad-hoc activities as needed.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited university in insurance, risk management or related field preferred.
- Experience with Property and Casualty rating and underwriting.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of computer systems and various software applications.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration and teamwork, communication (verbal and written), organizational and planning skills.
- Analytical thinking and aptitude for evaluating and interpreting detailed information and data.
- Ability to independently multi-task and respond to changing business priorities.
- Demonstrated customer service experience and the ability to interact with a wide-variety of people on a daily basis in person, via telephone and email.
- Insurance regulatory and technical knowledge.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.