**SHIFT Variable/Mon-Friday (flexibility required)**
To promote, provide and maintain patient care in association with collaborating/ delegating physician(s) and in partnership with a multi-disciplinary healthcare team; consistent with Texas Board of Nursing authorization for clinical practice area and patient population. Develop strategies to improve delivery of care for patients with known and unknown hematological malignancies; including the implementation of new programs, therapeutics and devices. Enhancing the clinical knowledge of disease-oriented teams and patients. Use and development of evidence based policies, procedures, and protocols, as well as best practice models and guidelines for patient centered care.
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing, documentation of completion of accredited Advanced Practice Education Program.
- Graduate education and related Texas Board of Nursing authorization must be consistent with clinical practice area and patient population.
- CNS certification required.
- Licensure as Advanced Practice Registered Nurse by Texas State Board of Nursing. Authorization for prescriptive authority by the Texas Board of Nursing.
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certified by the American Heart Association based on UT Southwestern policy for Advanced Practice Providers.
- One year relevant clinical experience as a CNS
- Five years of oncology experience preferred
- BMT experience preferred
- Conducts and documents comprehensive initial and ongoing physical examinations based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
- Synthesizes data and utilizes evidence to develop, implement, and evaluate the patient plan of care, including ordering and interpreting laboratory, radiology, and other diagnostic studies/results.
- Demonstrates proficiency in technical/procedural skills, as appropriate based on specialty and training.
- Provides relevant management, referrals, counseling, and education to patients, families and caregivers related to current care and preventive health measures.
- Facilitates/participates in quality related initiatives through planned group processes, workshops, seminars, and staff meetings, to improve clinical and system practice performance.
- Collaborates in research projects and protocols; and routinely applies evidence based best practices to patient care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES OF POSITION
- Accuracy and ability to exercise considerable judgment.
- Ability to maintain current customer service, clinical, and technical skills.
- Ability to identify opportunities and provide suggestions for improvements in departmental policy, procedures, and protocols.
- Proficient use of EMR in the delivery of care
The following is the acronym, “PACT“, and is fundamental to all clinical positions at UT Southwestern Medical Center:
- P-Problem Solving: To achieve excellence in patient care and service, all employees are expected to take ownership in solving problems effectively, efficiently and to the satisfaction of the patient.
- A-Ability, Attitude and Appearance: In keeping with a professional healthcare environment, all employees are expected to have the ability to perform their jobs and to appear and conduct themselves in a professional and positive manner.
- C-Communications and Compassion: It is our goal that all our communications are clear, courteous, timely, and delivered with compassion, respect and appropriate confidentiality.
- T-Teamwork: In our medical environment, our patients regard every employee they encounter as a member of the Southwestern Medical Center team. Our goal is to individually work hard to contribute to our team, support our co-workers, and to achieve not only excellent patient care and service, but also a satisfying, caring environment for each other.
Work is performed primarily in a clinical environment. The incumbent may be exposed to body fluids and infectious diseases. Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents in lieu of stated minimums require prior approval of Vice President for Human Resources Administration or his/her designee. This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code §51.215.