Responsibilities for this Position
Advanced Mechanical Engineer
Job ID: 2020-45785
Required Clearance: No clearance
Posted Date: 9/15/2020
Employment Type: Full Time
Hiring Company: General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
Imagine building your career by developing the solutions that support the mission of our nation's service members, intelligence analysts and first responders. That's the challenge that's waiting for you at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Here you have the opportunity to redefine innovation and excellence for the world. Are you ready? Then make a career move that makes an impact at General Dynamics Mission Systems.
We apply advanced technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain, AR/VR, Cloud Native and Quantum Physics to solve our customers' missions in cyber, RF, undersea, interstellar space and everything in between.
As an Advanced Mechanical Engineer, you'll design and develop in such areas as mechanical, thermal, hydraulic, thermodynamic, or heat transfer for production, transmission, measurement, and use of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, controls, engines and/or machines. Basically, you'll test your skill and knowledge each and every day by working with the best of the best.
What you'll experience:
- Hands on approach for identifying and eliminating process inefficiencies and constraints using various data analysis techniques (TOC, SPC, DOE, 6 Sigma, etc.)
- Applies Quality and SPC tools to manufacturing processes and performs analysis of the associated data to drive continuous improvement
- Proficient use and understanding of tolerancing and performance budgeting in addition to Design for Manufacture (DFM) concepts, principles, and theories
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing processes, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards
- Identifies Key Process Characteristics (KPC's) and tracks and reports in program metrics
- Creates designs and releases models / drawings for tooling used in the fabrication and testing of optics and optical assemblies. Troubleshoots and modifies designs as required.
- Solid knowledge with technical standards, manufacturing/fabrication methods, government/industry standards
- Ensures compliance of practices, procedures and instructions relative to applicable corporate standards (ISO, MIL, etc)
- Develops detailed work instructions for critical optical manufacturing processes / tests
- Contributes to continuous improvement activities and Root Cause / Corrective Action investigations
- Actively uncovers technical and organizational risks and ensures they are included in risk mitigation plans
What you bring to the table:
- Solid understanding of statistics and application to manufacturing processes including statistical process control (SPC), design of experiments (DOE), statistical hypothesis testing.
- 3D CAD experience (Solidworks experience preferred)
- Technical drawing knowledge: drawing standards, GD&T (Geometric, Dimensioning and Tolerancing), etc.
- Ability to create verification compliance documents to show drawing requirements and customer / industry specifications are being adhered to
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturability and Design for Assembly
- Requires technical evaluation skills, and basic manufacturing engineering knowledge
- Six Sigma/lean manufacturing tool skills a plus
What sets you apart:
- Creative thinking with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to quickly grasp and apply new information
- Effectively handle and lead complex assignments
- Ability to write technical papers and proposals
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran