WHY WERNER? BECAUSE WE ARE THE PRO'S CHOICE! You will find our market leading products and brands on trucks and job sites all over the world. Our team is focused on building relationships, insights, category analysis, and ultimately servicing our customer. On jobsites across America and the world, WernerCo brands are most preferred.
Purpose of the Job:
To serve as the staff environmental, health and safety specialist by developing, improving, and carrying out procedures and policies that effectively control safety, health and environmental exposures in the company.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Job Functions):
- Promote safety, environmental responsibility and continuous quality improvement in accordance with company policies.
- Work closely with first line supervision, providing training and support to raise the level of Safety awareness.
- Perform risk assessments of processes and equipment and assist in identification, analysis and control of occupational hazards and environmental risk. Where risks are identified, provide/seek solutions, using internal and external resources.
- Use tools like FMEA to rank identified risk.
- Champion problem solving methods for any accident and near miss occurrences. Keep track of preventive/corrective action to mitigate accidents or near misses
- Must apply professional engineering principles, methods, and techniques; safety-related elements of the physical sciences, ergonomics, psychology and physiology; and safety principles, standards, practices and analytical techniques.
- Assist in the selection of protective equipment or safety devices for machines and assists in the redesign of machines and plant equipment to eliminate occupational hazards and to address ergonomic concerns.
- Work with internal resources and outside contractors to determine improvement priorities and use project management principles to track improvements and to assure projects are being completed according to schedule. Report to Management any roadblocks or deficiencies that slow or distract from timely completion.
- Study, plan, update and formulate new and revised safety & environmental programs and rules, including company Safety/Emergency/Environmental instructions and equipment & process instructions.
- Coordinate loss control activities and industrial hygiene services to obtain optimum service.
- Direct the workers’ compensation program including, working with supervisors to get injured employees back to work and work with incidents and workers’ compensation statistics to follow costs of all incidents and focus on high-cost or precedent-setting cases.
- Complies with all the policies and procedures set forth in the Company Handbook.
- Build team spirit, pride and camaraderie within team.
- Perform functions to assure the company is in compliance with regulatory agencies such as filing and maintaining EPA and OSHA permits, logs and reports and coordinating potable water sampling and testing.
- Train, assist employees, follow company policies and establish process performance standards.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as apparent and/or assigned.
- Maintain and inform safety metrics accordantly with company policies.
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety and Environmental Management, Industrial Hygiene or equivalent is preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in safety and environmental is required
- Prior experience with Process Safety Management and Risk Management programs preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of OSHA , EPA Regulations and Management Systems (i.e., ISO 14001, Safety Management Systems)
- Continuous Improvement Principles and Practices
- Professional designations such as a Certified Hazard Control Manager (CHCM), 30 hour OSHA Certified, Certification in Ergonomics, Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Associate Safety professional (ASP) preferred.
- Ability to multitask and work in a team oriented fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, presentation and facilitation skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to partner and communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Must have the ability to exercise considerable judgment, problem solving and decision- making skills