Group Underwriters – Large - Directly contribute to the company achieving its financial and strategic goals for employer accounts with 250 or more subscribers. As the financial professionals who identify, evaluate and price risk, Large Group underwriters are responsible for balancing operating income and membership goals while protecting the company's bottom line from loss.
- Collects, reviews and analyzes customer specific information including financial condition, employee demographics, carrier history and previous claim experience to determine risk, potential benefit features and premium rates for fully insured groups requiring minimal customization.
- Underwrites new and renewal business by calculating monetary risk along with amendments to existing contracts.
- Assists as necessary in the negotiation of benefit plan designs and financial assumptions with sales teams on new and renewed business.
- Updates underwriting databases as appropriate.
- Reviews and approves all sales requests within company established standards and policy guidelines.
- Reviews and interprets ad hoc reports as requested and produces ongoing reports.
- May assist the sales team in implementing new and existing contracts by reviewing final enrollment numbers.
- Provides underwriting knowledge sharing and education to peers and/or members of the sales team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires practical knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Typically, requires a college degree or equivalent experience and 3 years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience 2 – 4 years with BA or 1 – 2 years with MBA.
- BA/BS in a related field such as finance, mathematics or accounting and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of underwriting principles and procedures.
- Demonstrated math/statistical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent knowledge of personal computer and related software applications including advanced features of Excel and/or other financial analysis modeling software.
- Requires an attention to detail and accuracy and understanding of the company's revenue, operating income and membership goals.
- Ability to solve complex problems with sometimes ambiguous information.
- Good time management and customer service skills.