Under general direction of the VP – Tax Reporting and Analysis, the Director of Accounting for Income Taxes directs the preparation and consolidation of the company’s financial reporting with regard to income taxes in compliance with ASC 740 and SEC Regulation S-X including related disclosures within the company’s quarterly and annual SEC filings. The role is responsible for modeling forecasted effective tax rates and cash taxes in support of the company’s financial planning and analysis function. This includes, but is not limited to overseeing, reviewing and in some cases preparing interim and annual U.S. and non-U.S. tax provisions for 200 legal entities in over 50 countries. The incumbent will also develop procedures and processes to ensure adherence to Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls over the financial reporting of income taxes.
As part of this role, the Director of Tax Accounting manages the quarterly tasks, due dates and assignments of corporate and field personnel to ensure that financial closing deadlines are met. They also manage the Company’s income tax technology software and other technologies utilized by the department.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directs the company’s global tax accounting and reporting processes and systems to ensure that all US and international affiliates:
- have adopted and implemented financial accounting procedures and systems to ensure accurate, efficient and timely reporting of quarterly and annual income tax expense in accordance with US GAAP, ASC 740 and applicable Company accounting policies and procedures
- are in full compliance with the company’s Sarbanes Oxley key internal controls and procedures related to Accounting for Income Taxes
- Manages and enhances the company’s tax technology reporting solutions to continuously improve the efficiency, timeliness and accuracy of global reporting of income tax expense, including integration of the provision system with the company’s income tax compliance system and its Financial Planning and LRP systems
- Develops processes and models to support SVP Tax, Controller and CFO in analyzing the cash tax and effective tax rate impacts of proposed legislation, M&A transactions, discrete events, jurisdictional audits and various planning scenarios
- Communicates in general business language complex tax and ASC 740 calculations to non-tax business executives verbally and via Excel and Powerpoint.
- Regularly liaises with company finance, accounting and FP&A personnel regarding projected effective tax rates, cash taxes and income tax disclosures
- Formulates policies and determines requirements to establish compliance with applicable tax reporting requirements
- Ensures the Company follows Sarbanes-Oxley as it relates to deferred tax liabilities and tax reserves
- Manages senior tax accountants in calculating various aspects of the provision including current and deferred federal and state provisions and related tax account balances as well as FIN 48 uncertain tax positions and reserves
- Supervises and develops staff of tax accounting and modeling professionals
- Researches and stays abreast of accounting for income tax impacts of legislative changes.
- Performs related duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA. Master’s in Taxation preferred along with knowledge of corporate income tax principles and accounting for income taxes. Requires a minimum of eight (8) years of corporate income tax experience; specifically, a combination of six (6) years of ASC 740 experience working with large, public, multinational corporations and two (2) years of U.S. federal and state tax compliance experience with multinational corporations.
At least three (3) years of experience at a manager level supervising staff.
MINIMUM SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong knowledge of ASC 740 Accounting for Income Tax principles
- Knowledge of U.S. federal, state and international income tax principles
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple priorities and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills; attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Smartview, SAP and Oracle TRCS preferred
- Strong ability to learn new technology (Oracle TRCS, Alteryx, SharePoint, etc.)
- Ability to deal with stressful situations as they arise.
AmerisourceBergen offers a comfortable, professional office work environment. Noise levels are generally quiet and conducive to focused concentration. The work environment is representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Sedentary physical activity requiring reaching, sifting, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping, feeling, repetitive motions, talking and hearing.
- Visual requirement is for close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
- 50% or more time is spent looking directly at a computer.
- Associate is frequently required to stand, walk (or otherwise be mobile).