Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest-growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 700.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
The Position: As a VP of Product Management at Root, you’ll lead an exceptionally talented team of product directors, managers, and analysts in achieving Root’s product vision. You will have the opportunity to build and scale revolutionary products from scratch. We know that much of our progress is due to framing our Product function as a critical key to success instead of an afterthought. At Root, you’ll have the agency to build and launch products that delight users - a word seldom used in reference to the insurance-buying experience. You’ll leverage data, the talent and insights of your product team, and your fellow leaders in Design and Engineering to hone in on how to best create and iterate on that experience. You’ll be responsible for product performance, the growth and success of your product management team, development of product roadmaps, and the execution of groundbreaking strategic initiatives.
Reports to: Chief Product Officer
- Scale a rapidly growing product organization within a high growth start-up
- Work with Product Leadership to set strategic direction for product
- Lead product team to build, own, and execute the product roadmap, ensuring alignment with strategic initiatives, determining KPIs, and hitting objectives
- Partner with the leadership team to achieve organizational alignment on key product efforts
- Identify process and organizational bottlenecks and leverage these opportunities to constantly improve efficiency
- Be an expert on industry trends and competitor efforts and leverage that expertise to drive product innovation and capture market opportunities
- Work cross-functionally with engineering and design leadership to develop and continually innovate product strategy
- Leverage data from various sources to holistically understand and relentlessly improve product performance
- Recruit, grow, and develop a team of exceptionally talented Product Directors and Product Managers, and Product Analysts
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or another quantitative field
- 10+ years of business/professional experience; 6+ years combined product and/or engineering leadership experience
- Proven track record of driving teams to results while navigating a fast-changing environment within a rapidly scaling company
- Exceptional leadership skills; ability to motivate and influence with and without direct authority
- Product domain expertise spanning the customer discovery, planning, and product development process; deep understanding of customer-centric product practices; ability to mentor and develop expertise in others
- Strong technology background, including an understanding of technical capabilities on mobile and web platforms
- Superior problem-solving and decision-making skills with the ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Roll-up-the-sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it-takes” attitude to efficiently execute and drive for results in a fast-paced work environment