The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way that car insurance works. We’re competing with companies that have been around for a century and comprise a $200B industry—and we’re doing it with astonishingly small teams.
We recently raised the largest VC round ever for an Ohio technology company:
Our team excels at innovating on behalf of our business and creating great experience for our customers on our mobile applications, back-end services, and web applications. We are pragmatic but always building with an eye on the future - this has allowed us to achieve exceptional results in a short time and build the type of software that is necessary to invoke change in the insurance industry.
For more information on engineering at Root see https://eng.joinroot.com/
As part of our super-fast growth, we are constantly evolving and improving the internal systems we use to support our business across finance, human resources, and other internal business functions. Although we build most of the software we use in our business from the ground up, there are certain functions that we believe using 3rd party software makes more sense. Although we embrace using 3rd party software, we want to add the same engineering rigor around them like what exists today for our own production engineering tech stack.
A Technical Program Manager at Root is expected to wear many hats. You will serve as a business analyst to understand how our internal teams need to use the systems and what they want to get out of them. You will serve as a programmer analyst writing jobs, SQL scripts, and other programming functions to ensure appropriate data flows between our own production systems and the internal systems we utilize today and will utilize in the future. You will serve as a program manager ensuring all 3rd party integrations are thought out up front, and launched with full engineering rigor and operational preparedness. You will help our business teams maximize their productivity with these 3rd party solutions, and identify any opportunities for our production engineering team to improve the interfaces and data flows between our software and these 3rd party software systems.
We divide the areas of responsibility for members of the Engineering Team into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact: Multiple Teams, Large Initiatives, or Company
What we look for in Technical Program Managers:
- Deep understanding of technologies used in our internal systems, including data flows and system architecture.
- Ability to launch, triage, and debug technical issues with in-house and 3rd party technical solutions
- Experienced with several programming/scripting paradigms - programming and SQL analyst skills are required in this role.
- Knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools. Ability to write SQL queries to build jobs and reports.
- Strong understanding of infrastructure and systems operational best practices
- Experienced in implementing Netsuite or similar Cloud ERP software is preferred, but not required
- Exposure to Oracle budgeting and planning tools is preferred, but not required
Planning and Execution:
- Plans and completes large and complex multi-person or multi-team projects.
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features.
- Provide clear requirements to our production engineering team when we need to change or add integration between our production systems and the 3rd party systems you manage.
- Can disambiguate and decompose complex internal projects with low levels of pre-definition.
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Internalizes business goals in their technical decision making.
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others:
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and autonomously