Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 700.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Make no mistake: this will not be a typical social position at any old insurance company. You will not be sitting in a cubicle and no two days will look the same. Instead, you will be rolling up your sleeves, pitching in, and helping to build a business from the ground up. Not only will you be establishing and building our social media presence, but you will also be our social brand guardian. You’ll help give our brand life and personality, turning us into the insurance company that everyone actually wants to follow.
In short: this is not a normal opportunity and we are not looking for a normal social media manager. We want someone who identifies the opportunities hidden behind the data and emerging trends, partners with the creative team to turn those opportunities into visual reality, and dives headfirst into building a community of passionate fans. We're looking for someone with drive to make an impact on the business and a passion for doing things right, and who doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty with the executional details. From the highest level strategy to the individual consumer response, you will be responsible for turning our social vision into a reality.
Reports to: Marketing Director
- Develop Root’s social media and content vision and strategy. Execute strategy, plan and roadmap to gain audience insights, expand brand awareness and acquire more customers.
- Manage and grow all active social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube, and recommend expansion platforms as needed. Develop social content strategy and calendar, with a content mix that is attention-grabbing, informative, entertaining and topical.
- Continuously refine the social strategy based on data and results. Define KPIs and set short and long-term goals. Analyze and report on effectiveness of individual campaigns and Root’s overall social presence. Rapidly test and learn to continuously improve performance.
- Monitor and respond in a timely manner to customer comments and inquiries through social platforms. Steward Root’s social reputation.
- Collaborate with PR, marketing and cross-functional teams to identify and capitalize on opportunities and address issues.
- Identify, interpret, monitor and capitalize on industry, competitive and social media trends; provide recommendations based on learning.
- Grow and develop community managers. Build out your team as the company scales.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Minimum of 3 years social media experience with a proven track record of meeting/exceeding goals. Content management experience a huge plus.
- Fluent in social media platforms, especially Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Growing knowledge of messaging apps and emerging social platforms.
- High analytical, with a proven ability to build a data-driven strategy and track ROI. Deep understanding of web analytics, social media tools and social’s relationship to other marketing channels.
- Proven experience building social media influencer and brand ambassador programs.
- High attention to detail with superior problem-solving skills; comfortable independently multi-tasking and prioritizing projects in a fast-paced work environment
- Naturally collaborative with superior written and verbal skills.
- Roll-up-the sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it takes” mindset to execute against the strategy.
- You know your way around a camera (photo & video) and have basic editing software skills.