Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest-growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 700.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Position: Root is seeking a proven Senior Content Marketing Manager to develop and execute an effective and efficient multi-channel content strategy. You will ensure that our editorial and social (both organic and paid) content not only speaks to our audience and amplifies our brand in creative and innovative ways, but also delivers against aggressive demand generation, conversion and retention goals. The ideal candidate is innovative, data-driven, and passionate about the opportunity to help connect consumers with the Root brand.
Reports to: Director, Marketing
- Define, lead and execute Root’s data-driven content strategy. Own and develop editorial calendar, media amplification plan across owned and paid channels, KPI definition and measurement, and optimization to deliver against aggressive business goals.
- Lead and grow the team responsible for activating content on paid and owned channels, delivering a cohesive digital experience for consumers. Will also oversee social media team, including community management, in close partnership with external and internal communications partners.
- Identify and rapidly iterate on new delivery strategies and formats to expand our content reach and effectiveness. Embrace test and learn approach to deliver continuous KPI improvement over time.
- Partner with the Creative team and business leaders to create performance-driven content that is on brief, on time and on budget.
- Establish Content KPIs and goals, partnering with the Marketing Analysis team to provide regular leadership updates and recommendations.
- Work seamlessly across the Marketing and Product teams to support integrated campaigns and capitalize on identified opportunities.
- BA/BS in marketing, business, or a related field. Masters degree preferred.
- 7-10 years of proven experience of delivering measurable business impact through content marketing on behalf of established and/or emerging brands.
- 5+ years experience in social media and community management strategy and execution. Deep knowledge of paid and owned digital media channels and best practices in content creation and cost-effective amplification. Significant experience with designing and deploying an iterative test and learn approach to maximize performance.
- Analytical and data-driven mindset with a proven ability to manage multiple competing (and sometimes shifting) priorities simultaneously.
- Dedicated people leader who can inspire and grow a high performing team. Collaborative leader with a strong ability to work cross-functionally to build alignment and execute marketing plans.
- Maintains a do-what-it-takes attitude and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.