Consumer behavior is nebulous. Occasionally, hints are dropped for entrepreneurs on how to create a better mousetrap. However, these hints are fleeting, often misguided, and seldom specific enough for a product manager, designer, or engineer to build an exact product that matches the consumer preference in the market. More times than not, this difficulty leads to consumer behavior being treated as a mythical creature - the understanding of which is some black magic that a few lucky billionaires were born with and which can never be learned.
We don’t believe in black magic or divine intervention that graces a few lucky entrepreneurs. We do, however, believe in leveraging structured, rigorous thinking guided by the scientific process to create products that customers love.
As a product manager, you will own product ideation and execution for a specific area of our business.
Reports to: VP of Product
- Work with VP of Product to build product strategy from the ground up for your area of focus
- Create, manage, and adapt product roadmap to meet quarterly objectives/KPIs
- Lead a team of engineers and designers to drive the full product life cycle, spanning ideation, design, implementation, testing, and iteration
- Break down work into weekly sprints and ensure team meets execution goals
- Build out analytics capabilities and perform ongoing and ad-hoc analysis to assess product performance and extract new product insights
- Continually seek qualitative customer feedback to guide product decisions; be the voice of the customer
- Leverage market expertise to build a competitor database for product benchmarking
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or another quantitative field
- 3+ years of business experience; 2+ years of product experience
- Product domain expertise spanning the customer discovery, planning, and product development process; deep understanding of customer-centric product practices
- Strong technology background and proficient in SQL; familiarity with Postgres databases, JQL, and Ruby on Rails a plus
- Highly analytical; excel at leveraging customer research and analytics to drive product decisions
- Superior problem-solving skills with ability to think strategically and innovatively
- Detail oriented; ability to multi-task and prioritize projects
- Roll-up-the sleeves work ethic and “do-what-it takes” attitude to efficiently execute and drive for results in a fast-pace work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to thrive in a results-driven, fast-pace work environment
- Exceptional leadership skills; naturally collaborative, excelling at influencing without direct authority
Why join Root?
Because we believe the best way to move the world forward is the relentless pursuit of ideas.
We build things that ought to exist, but would not exist, if we were not building them.
We do this through immense dedication to our craft, an unwavering focus on our fellow human beings, and a maniacal obsession with the quality of our creations.
Problems stick in our craw, and we don’t let them go until we solve them. We believe in the scientific process and know that experimentation is the best way to find truth. We don’t hold ideas down no matter how crazy they may seem. We foster them, nurture them, and unceasingly test them. If you are the kind of person that loves tackling big problems with a collaborative group of people until you find solutions, you belong here.