The position of Team Leader for the Planning and Environment Team is part of the Office of Program Development in the Ohio Division of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). You will lead a staff of several professionals covering all aspects of planning and environmental programs of the Federal-aid highway program and work under the general policy direction of the Director of Program Development.
Learn more about this agency
The Lead Transportation Specialist (Planning and Environment):
- Fulfills the Team Leader roles, including performance appraisal, and CJE development. Serves as a mentor, coach, and advocate for the team's members, communicating the vision and direction of the Division and the Agency.
- Establishes solid relationships with unit members, clearly communicating expectations and maintaining close working relationships.
- Directs staff on the Planning and Environmental programs and initiatives.
- Ensures compliance with regulations, standards and specifications. Discusses with staff the appropriate corrective action for any problems.
- Represents FHWA in discussions with State and local officials in resolving the most complex transportation problems relating to areas such as planning, environment, and other related program areas of the Federal-aid highway program.
- Interprets and assists in implementing new federally mandated programs and major changes in ongoing programs towards addressing the total traveling need of the public with each new legislative package, while maintaining proper stewardship of Federal funds.
This position is ideal for the technically qualified candidate seeking leadership experience guiding a multidisciplinary team responsible for monitoring and evaluating transportation planning and environment processes.
Occasional travel - Some travel is required.
- Job family (Series)
2101 Transportation Specialist
Conditions of Employment
- You must meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Announcement also advertise Status & VEOA: FHWA.FO-2020-0025.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: This position involves travel. A government contractor-issued travel card will be issued and must be retained for official business only.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: You will be required to complete a background/security investigation and meet preliminary requirements prior to onboarding.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must meet the specialized experience requirements.
To qualify for the Grade 13, you must have at least one year of experience equal or equivalent to the GS-12, it must include:
- Experience at journey-level or as technical lead in transportation planning and environment activities for transportation projects or systems. AND
- Experience conducting process and program assessments, reviews, or evaluations.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Students enrolled in a qualifying degree program can apply if the anticipated graduation date is within six months of closing date of the announcement. Graduation transcript must be received before start date.
Other applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.