Who We Are:
Our approximately 18,700 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball is one of the world's largest manufacturers of food cans, aerosol cans, paint & general line cans, and specialty metal tins. Fruits, vegetables, soup, meat, beverages, or pet food - we make a metal can that protects products and displays them beautifully. Ball is North America's largest producer of 3-piece steel aerosol cans, Europe's leading supplier of extruded aluminum aerosol cans and the world's largest producer of aluminum slugs (disks that are later extruded into cans and bottles).
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Responsible for supporting the Food & Aerosol (steel & aluminum) Container Engineering Department as required.
Location: Columbus, OH
- Participates in the development and maintenance of products, tooling, metal and packaging specifications and designs.
- Coordinates and investigates corrective action and institutes improvements to tooling, products and manufacturing methods and is responsible for implementation of new tooling or product design information to others in the company.
- Investigates and assists in providing technical support to plants, customers and production equipment engineering and others.
- Maintains database of design calculations, product specification sheets, drawings and manufacturing standards and provides as needed to customers, sales and quality departments. Periodically reviews engineering document management system for obsolete drawings and inaccurate data.
- Records requests for deviations from standards or specifications and acts as a liaison between plant personnel and division level departments.
- Designs and develops assembly and detail drawings for tooling and machinery used in metal forming operations. Develops and maintains a high level of expertise, accuracy and efficiency in using Ball's standard CAD and engineering document management computer software.
- Participates in preparing bills of materials and parts lists as well as procurement and bid packages.
- Investigates and maintains familiarity with geometric form tolerancing, good drafting practices and the empirical (inch) and metric systems, specifically System International (SI).
- Performs defined test trials, run either off line or in production, and records and results, as required.
- Provides administrative support to the assigned department which may include answering, screening and directing phone calls and sorting distributing and sending incoming and outgoing mail.
- Maintains and ensures the group's test equipment and tools are calibrated and in good working order.
- Orders and replenishes office and miscellaneous department equipment, tools and supplies.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through high schol, college education (2 or 4 year) or work-related experience.
- Job related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Experience using AutoCad or SolidWorks, experience with both preferred.
- Mechanical aptitude with good knowledge of use of hand tools.
- Ability to apply relentless attention to detail.
- Ability to work extra hours as needed.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
Ball Corporation offers comprehensive benefits packages, including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, ESPP, and retirement plans.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.