If you're passionate about innovation and love working in an environment where you can constantly improve and adopt new technologies to drive business results, then Nationwide's Information Technology team could be the place for you!
Compensation Grade D4
Job Description Summary
JOB SUMMARY: With moderate guidance, modifies applications programs from detailed specifications. Analyzes, codes, tests, debugs, documents, and maintains those programs and interfaces. This level is staffed by individuals who have had sufficient educational background and/or experience to qualify them to start in applications programming. Position uses problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Position is able to identify problems and recommend corresponding solutions.
Nationwide's cutting edge Software Development Services group is looking for Applications Developers to join the team.
We have openings in Columbus OH, Scottsdale AZ, Harleysville PA and Des Moines IA. We're seeking candidates who are eager to learn new systems and can work in a highly open and collaborative environment. Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field highly preferred. We're seeking a self-starter to modify, code, test, debug and maintain a wide array of technologies.
Job responsibilities include:
- With decreasing guidance over time, develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new or modifying existing software applications that are moderately complex.
- Analyzes and validates moderately complex system requirements and existing business processes and information systems. Develops and implements new programs and/or modifications of existing applications. Responsible for the design, prototyping and other methodologies for new and/or existing systems including the development of test plans and program specifications with minimal interfaces.
- Codes, tests, debugs, documents, and implements moderately complex software applications according to standards.
- Develops specifications and programs moderately complex technical modules, applications, prototypes and computer programs.
- Performs all aspects of applications programming and development including file design, update, storage and retrieval.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Solid communication and people interaction skills
- Possess an Agile mindset
- Insurance industry experience is a plus
- Java Experience or equivalent Object Oriented programming
- Trained in design patterns.
- Competent working within the Eclipse IDE or with experience in RAD
- Capable in designing and executing unit tests
- Experience developing software via Agile software development methodologies
- Experience with utilizing Software engineering processes such as TDD/ATDD, paired programming, etc.
ComputerWorld named Nationwide one of the best IT places to work in 2017. Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; specialty health; pet, motorcycle, boat and farm insurance.
- With moderate guidance, develops cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new or modifying existing software applications.
- Analyzes and validates system requirements and existing business processes and information systems. Assists in the development and implementation of new programs and/or modifications of existing applications.
- Codes, tests, debugs, documents and implements software applications according to standards.
- Develops specifications and programs technical modules, applications and computer programs.
- Participates in most aspects of applications programming and development including file design, update, storage and retrieval.
- Evaluates and provides technical solutions to application development problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, mathematics or related field is preferred.
Experience: No experience is required if completed undergraduate studies in computer science, management information systems, or related degree.
Knowledge: Must have knowledge in computer programming language. Must have an understanding in systems and data processing policies, practices and procedures. Must have general knowledge of the systems development life cycle.
Skills/Competencies: Must have the ability to analyze applications and systems. Must be able to program systems requiring interfaces. Must possess problem-solving skills to determine the programming effects on existing systems. Must have decision-making skills for problem identification and solution recommendation.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the:
Director and HR Officer
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Associates may have on-call responsibility after normal working hours and/or on weekends.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Not Applicable
Safety Sensitive (SS): Not Applicable
Job Evaluation Activity: Evaluated: MDK (12-22-03)