The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way that car insurance works. We’re competing with companies that have been around for a century and comprise a $200B industry—and we’re doing it with astonishingly small teams.
Our tech stack includes:
Ruby / Rails backend, RSpec for testing
Small amounts of native iOS and Android
Deployment to AWS ECS using containers
Buildkite for CI
We recently raised the largest VC round ever for an Ohio technology company:
At Root, we are not only building high-quality consumer-facing software products, but also a top-tier auto insurance company. We are creating a highly capable and adaptable engineering team to realize the competitive advantages of using advanced actuarial and analytic techniques, predictive modeling, and machine learning in a modern cloud computing environment.
For more information on engineering at Root see: https://eng.joinroot.com/
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact Team/Initiative/Company
What we look for in senior data infrastructure engineers:
- Deep understanding of technologies used in our stack, data science and analysis tooling and automation, and cloud computing technologies
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software
- Experienced with several programming paradigms
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, and version control tools
- Strong familiarity with cloud infrastructure, devops, deployment automation, and data science and analysis libraries and platforms
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex tasks/projects without supervision
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features
- Completes large pre-planned tasks in an efficient manner
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions.
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues
- Able to positively influence other engineers, both directly and indirectly
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward