Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Given Root’s growth opportunities and recent capital raise, the business is at an exciting inflection point transitioning to a growth company analyzing corporate structure, capital strategy, investor communication, corporate metrics/positioning, and forecasting accuracy. With Root position as a disruptor in the traditional insurance industry, our solutions to these financial challenges will be innovative and informed by leading founders, investors, and advisors in the tech world.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest-growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. Root is now selling insurance in 29 states supported by a team of over 750 people.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Position: Root is looking for a capital markets analyst with a background in equity research, skilled in peer benchmarking and trade analysis. As an Analyst of Capital Markets, you will use numerous data sources (10-K, S-1, earnings calls, industry databases, and data aggregation tools) to synthesize and present peer results and industry developments to the organization to serve as Root’s ear to the ground for the market, and peer comparable companies. Throughout this process, you will also provide critical feedback on key metric calculations, while supporting overall investor reporting and the build-out of IR capabilities. The right candidate will be passionate about digging into the details and have the intellectual curiosity to look past the surface level analysis to gain further insight into the market and be comfortable preparing work for c-suite review.
Reports to: Director of Capital Markets
- Review quarterly filings and analyze calls for key metric reporting and calculation of peer set
- Develop competitive benchmarking for key metrics and detailed understanding of calculations
- Review SEC filings for a more broad set of direct to consumer businesses and technology companies to understand metric calculations and presentations
- Work closely with accounting financial reporting team to provide feedback on MD&A and other reporting in comparison to peer set
- Communicate peer and competitive set quarterly results and strategic developments
- Support overall investor reporting and build-out of IR capabilities
- 3+ years of experience in equity research or comparable investment banking environment with experience tracking comparables and peer metrics and multiple reporting
- Detailed understanding of GAAP and non-GAAP metrics, CPA not required but accounting concept depth and experience required
- Experience reviewing or building analyst level financial models based on publicly available information
- Experience preparing work product for publishing or for review by C-suite
- Attention to detail, excellent communication, and presentation skills
- Excel modeling capabilities to support fully integrated financial statement modeling at a high level