Company: Root is a car insurance company founded on the simple idea that people who drive well are less likely to get in accidents, and that means they should pay less for insurance. With a small initial venture capital investment, Root was faced with the challenge of building the entirety of the technology necessary to run a car insurance carrier from scratch. Through applying techniques to gain significant engineering leverage in the short-term without compromising long-term velocity, the engineering team at Root was able to deliver successfully, creating one of the fastest venture-backed companies to ever reach a billion dollar valuation.
Progress: We’ve been in business now for four years. In those four years, we have become the fastest growing auto insurance company, on a % growth in premium basis. Our most recent round of funding valued us at $3.65B and brought our total VC funding to $523M. In the last year and a half, we have grown our team from 60 to 700.
Embrace the love of the problem.
Question the norm.
Tackle the tough challenges head-on.
Have the uncomfortable conversations.
Ask forgiveness rather than permission.
Judge on the merits of work.
Celebrate ambitious teamwork.
Lead with empathy.
Filter the temptation to do the obvious.
Invest, don’t spend.
Empower the customer to solve.
Culture: Root has been rapidly growing for the last few years. Our early signs of success are in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building it. We look for passionate problem solvers who can find solutions by moving through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity and rigor. We work together as one team and expect every team member to lead with empathy and courage.
Position: Root is looking for a corporate legal leader with a strong background in financing, public offerings, and M&A. As the Assistant General Counsel, you will be responsible for managing all corporate law functions, including strategic transactions, financings, corporate governance, partnerships, commercial contracts, and employment. You will serve as a senior leader on the legal team, managing the corporate legal team and working closely with the General Counsel to develop objectives and key results for the team. The right candidate will have experience working in the context and speed of a cutting-edge technology company, and is passionate about both leading at a high-level and digging into the details.
Reports to: General Counsel
- Legal lead for all material company transactions, including acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings, equity financings, debt facilities and commercial partnerships.
- Serve as assistant secretary of the corporation, assisting the General Counsel with corporate governance and board of directors matters.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with investors and other key parties on corporate law and corporate governance issues, including investment-related communications.
- Manage outside counsel relationships that help to creatively, efficiently and effectively solve problems.
- Manage and lead members of Root’s corporate legal team and develop strategic plans to meet company objectives and priorities.
- Advise the General Counsel and Root’s senior management team on key risks, strategies and overall planning.
- Collaborate, every day, with our business partners to provide both strategic and legal direction on the development of new business opportunities.
- Execute and drive business results by working cross functionally with finance, compliance, business development, engineering, product and other teams.
- Support the negotiation of all material contracts, including significant vendor contracts and other strategic agreements.
- Undergraduate and law degrees; active membership in at least one U.S. state bar.
- 8+ years of experience, with at least 3 years in-house experience at a cutting-edge technology company preferred. Experience in financings, public offerings, and M&A is essential. Senior corporate role at a prominent law firm is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and coach professionals with a positive, team-building attitude, and to interact productively and collaboratively with finance, compliance, business development, product, engineering and other teams at the company.
- Experience managing other attorneys and legal team members, building a legal budget, and developing forward-looking strategies for operations and transactions.
- Exceptional critical thinking abilities, strong business acumen and excellent judgment.
- Must be able to work independently, manage multiple priorities and pivot between responsibilities in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Superior drafting and legal technical skills, with keen attention to detail.
- Must be comfortable providing legal guidance on short timelines and with limited information and then helping to execute on the business decision – even if it involves legal risks.
- Passion and depth of experience with Fintech business preferred and willingness to learn more about Fintech is required
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics. Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others.