The Aquatics Recreation Supervisor position will develop and manage recreation programs, special events and facility and business operations. The Recreation Supervisor is expected to function as a working supervisor, spending time planning and implementing all areas of operations and working at sites under his/her areas of responsibility.
keywords=recreation%20super&pagetype=classSpecifications Essential Job Functions
- Supervises recreation programs and events, including facility operations. These responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, overseeing daily operations, supervising and training all part time/seasonal/contract staff who assist with these programs and facilities, coordinating the use of Parks and Recreation and needed school facilities, budgeting and accounting for registration fees and program expenses.
- Carries out supervisory responsibility in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws, including: interviewing and training staff; accurately completing all necessary paperwork and documentation for staff hiring; planning, assigning and directing work; establishing deadlines; rewarding and disciplining employees; making pay recommendations; approving leave requests; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures relating to the operations of all designated program areas and instructs staff on such policies and procedures, as well as any necessary department procedures and safety issues.
- Develops short-range planning and needs assessment for the improvement of programs, recommends and implements changes as appropriate.
- Establishes fees for various programs with regard to City policies, market influences, and revenue objectives.
- Develops cooperative and supportive working relationships with internal and external organizations. Seeks alternative funding for programs, events and operations including working with partners, sponsors, and a variety of interest groups in planning and implementing recreation programs and special events; develops cooperative and supportive working relationships with civic, service, recreational, business and other organizations to coordinate, implement and fund activities/events/operations.
- Assists in the formulation of the budget and monitors accounts for income and expenditures, including: reviewing budget expenditures and requesting revisions to meet operational needs, reviewing budget requests and making decisions on organizing projects to remain within budget, and consulting with supervisors and financial staff regarding budget matters. Prepares purchase orders and purchases supplies and materials for recreation programs, facilities, and activities.
- Implements risk and crisis management program for programs and facilities, including annual policy review and site inspection. Inspects sites to ensure safety and other city policies, rules and regulations are being followed.
- Regular, predictable, and punctual attendance is required. Minimum Qualifications
Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in the parks and recreation field or a closely related field.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience managing recreation programs.
- One or more years of supervisory experience in a recreational based program.
Licensure or Certification Requirements
- Current and valid Ohio driver's license with an acceptable driver's abstract, in order to meet criteria for insurability established by the City of Gahanna
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP), preferred (or ability to obtain certification within six months of employment).
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR/AED, and First Aid Certification
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment)
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (or ability to obtain certification within 18 months of employment)
- Current CPO/AFO Certification (or ability to obtain within 12 months of employment)
Important Job Functions
- Ensures timely and consistent evaluation of quality of programming, including the use of staff and participant surveys.
- May assist in the coordination of recreation programs and events.
- Handles citizen complaints and solves programming problems; negotiates with participants. Responds to inquiries and requests for information from residents.
- Represents department on various boards and committees; makes presentations and speeches for/at meetings and other community events.
- Works within and across city departments to coordinate community and/or recreation events and funding for these programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.