Requisition Number: PRODU01576
Product Manager - Consumables and After Market Products
Marketing Department - Columbia, MD
The individual in this position will provide a wide variety of support related functions including, but not limited to, development of strategies and technical documents related to marketing, sales, application use, training and phone support of the Consumables and After-market products. Significant travel and customer contact to support assigned products is required. Additional responsibilities include training customers and SSI less experienced staff, working closely with Marketing Communications team members and other Product and Marketing Managers, as well as, other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
The primary function of this position is to maintain a healthy growth and profitability position for Consumables and After-market business. This position will be tasked with special projects and held responsible for final accountability of the product line growth and success. The Consumables & After-market Product Manager will develop Consumables and After-market business that spans across all Shimadzu Scientific Instruments markets, including Environmental, Chemical, Clinical, Food and Pharmaceutical markets.
JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- To act as the company’s process owner on the assigned products and their related markets by developing a competitive strategy (annual business plan) to meet the assigned product line goals and objectives.
- To research, plan and assess marketing mix for assigned products (product, price, promotion and distribution).
- To continually assess the competitive environment and customer requirements in order to price and position products competitively and analyze for report to sales.
- To determine, implement and manage promotional plans and budgets of the assigned products. (Advertising, trade shows, direct mail, internal promotion, website, etc.)
- To successfully promote the product line through clear verbal and written communication/documentation.
- To accurately forecast market requirements and then propose to develop and implement hardware and software resolutions to meet these needs.
- To participate in inventory planning and purchasing of the assigned products.
- To coordinate all assigned product introductions and releases.
- To develop demonstration strategies and presentation of products to potential and current customers to support the sales effort.
- To effectively train the sales force on the feature/benefits analysis and positioning strategies on all assigned products.
- To support qualification tests for large corporate customers and round robin tests with ASTM and other official organizations.
- Support instrument quality procedures in house and in the field.
- To perform applications work as required effectively positioning the product and analyzing customer samples.
- To produce customer support materials to further sales for the product line (such as brochures, technical notes, application notes flyers, etc.)
- Provide application, operational and maintenance support of those products sold by SSI or its representatives.
- To develop and provide technical training courses and materials for customers and SSI employees.
- To develop a knowledge base through the accurate documentation and reporting of product failures and repairs.
- To provide product design change and improvement recommendations.
- To develop installation and maintenance procedures for products as required.
- To cooperate with Service and Technical Support to effectively train on the operation of new products.
- To maintain the current IQ/OQ/PT protocols and develop protocols for new products.
- To maintain assigned instruments in application labs.
- To travel as required to support the assigned product line.
- To manage, train and mentor less experienced personnel.
This position’s primary focus is on tactical marketing issues, education and quality support regarding the assigned products, while ensuring effective and efficient use of resources. This will include the full scope from product design to customer satisfaction, coordinating efforts with the Marketing team, Sales, Service, and the Regional staff.
Systems Troubleshooting Ability
PROBLEM SOLVING REQUIREMENTS:
Incumbent must be proficient at identification and analysis of product suitability to a market segment and compare the advantages and disadvantages of the many courses of action in resolving problems. The Product Manager must be able to effectively troubleshoot and resolve operational, hardware and application issues/ problems in a methodical efficient manner. Additionally, must be able to act independently in matters not governed by policy to ensure customer satisfaction, while keeping in mind the expected benefit to the company and meeting product line objectives.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Incumbent must have a Bachelor’s degree in the life sciences with some marketing knowledge and at least seven years (or the equivalent) experience in technical applications, instrument troubleshooting and maintenance/repair knowledge in the assigned product line. A strong history of good organizational, communication, research analysis and leadership skills are essential. Experience in maintenance and/or repair of analytical instrumentation, marketing background and any sales experience is highly desirable. Attention to detail and strong customer service skills are required along with a dependable work ethic.
The Product Manager is responsible for managing on a daily basis all product specialists & coordinators within their assigned product line. Supervision includes ensuring adequate coverage for training, phone support, application work, travel to customer sites & trade shows, as well as, proper support for field employees.
The position requires frequent lifting (or by other means for movement) of boxes and computer components/parts. Physical demands may include frequent bending; stooping, squatting, standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time and pulling/pushing of parts can also be expected. Incumbent must be able to lift up to 20 pounds routinely throughout the day. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception
SAFETY/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
The position is required to maintain proper housekeeping and safety standards in particular those related to lab safety protocol. Proper use of personal protective equipment and safety devices as required by the Corporate Safety Document policies and procedures and/or customer’s dictated policy is required.
This position is based in an office area that requires regular and predictable attendance. It will involve working alone on projects and collaborating as part of team. Incumbent may work at different workstations during the day and travel to regional locations/customers in order to support the information technology needs of all company employees. Extra hours may periodically be required, in order to fulfill the functions required by this position. The position will include contact with all SSI employees and requires prompt and friendly handling of all related inquires. The position will include contact with customers and requires prompt and professional handling in all related matters.
Shimadzu Scientific Instruments is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.