Essential Job Functions
- $21.99 Hourly / Depends on Qualifications*
- Working days for this position are Sunday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday*
Performs preventive maintenance services and technical repairs on medium and heavy vehicles, construction equipment, attachments and auxiliary equipment. Assists in major repairs or performs major repairs on equipment under supervision. Observes vehicle, shop and equipment safety procedures and Fleet's environmental program outlined in the Fleet Management Standard Operating Procedures (FMSOP).
- Performs repairs and maintenance on all vehicles, equipment, attachments and auxiliary equipment in the garage(s) or in the field. Performs repairs to engines, transmissions, differentials and hydraulic components and other related sub-systems.
- Performs diagnostics tests using electronic communication software, web base and loaded electronic programs on all major vehicle and equipment systems to accurately identify malfunctions. Performs repairs to correct malfunction(s).
- Performs annual DOT required inspections and emission tests on vehicles or required equipment and repairs as needed.
- Performs preventive maintenance services in accordance with the Fleet Management Division's Service Checklist.
- Observes the Fleet Management Section's environmental program.
- Responsible for repairing HVAC and hydraulic system failures. Responsible for repairing air and hydraulic brake systems.
- Uses a laptop and existing database to input accurate and detailed descriptions of the day's work activities. Responsible for the security and authorized use of laptops.
- Ensures work area is kept clean, organized and that other shop areas are organized to prevent accidents/injuries as required.
- Services and repairs vehicles, equipment and attachments to manufacturer's standards, Federal Motor Carriers Safety Regulations (FMCSR) and Fleet Management Standard Operating Procedures (FMSOP).
- Provides assistance and instruction to peers as needed.
- Responds to on-call after hours El Paso County emergencies.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent education required.
- Minimum two (2) years vocational training in diesel engine repair preferred. Five (5) years equipment mechanic experience preferred.
- Must provide own tools to perform essential job functions, including impact tools up to ½“, wrench sets and electrical troubleshooting equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform construction equipment repair.
- Ability to diagnose equipment faults including electrical, hydraulic, steering and suspension using diagnostic equipment, such as Prolink and other software programs.
- Ability to read and understand technical and parts manuals in electronic and hard copy format.
- Knowledge of personal and shop tools; ability to properly use tools to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Ability to effectively and safely operate assigned equipment and tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Fleet staff, customers and the general public.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Must pass conditional post offer background investigation, physical examination, drug screen and motor vehicle check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Class “B“ Commercial Driver's License or higher. Tanker endorsement preferred or must be added upon CDL renewal.
- ASE (Medium/Heavy Truck) Certification preferred.
Work is typically performed in a shop or garage environment or in the field. May be exposed to hazardous materials, such as antifreeze, lubricants, solvents, corrosives, fuels and vapors. Work may be performed in hazardous situations including moving vehicles/equipment or recovering vehicles/equipment and in adverse weather conditions. Work is performed with potentially dangerous equipment and tools. Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 75 pounds. Responds to on-call after hours El Paso County emergencies. Regular work schedule may include weekends. Subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.
com For inquiries please call: 719-520-7401.
Each applicant is considered only for the current vacancy indicated on your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor any future openings and to submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Any new employee and rehires must provide documentation of authorization to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603).
EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER