Senior Ground Systems Engineer
Job ID 15587
The Space Dynamics Laboratory (SDL) Strategic Military Space Division is seeking an experienced Ground Systems Engineer to help a customer select and implement a ground system solution for a new space sensor. This position requires excellent soft skills to influence and work with teams and divisions outside of your assigned group. SDL works with the Department of Defense and industry to create novel solutions that impact national defense in space, air, land, and sea. If you enjoy challenging design problems, we want you to join our team.
This position is in Colorado Springs, CO.
At SDL, we take pride in and highly value our employees. SDL offers competitive salaries and fantastic benefits, including:
- Flexible work schedules that fit your style—every Friday off, every other Friday off, possible work from home days, or simply traditional hours
- Generous paid leisure and sick leave, ensuring you never miss a special event
- A 14.2% employer retirement contribution into a 401(a) account—no matching required!
- Favorable company locations with average commute times of less than 15 minutes
- Utah State University undergraduate tuition discounts of 50%, full reimbursement for graduate tuition, and free course audits for employees and dependents meeting eligibility requirements
- High-quality, low-cost health, dental, and life insurance
- A great, highly educated team that works together to solve some of the most fascinating problems on (and off) our planet
- We are a growing company that maintains both a family feel and high retention rate with over 90% job satisfaction
- Relocation assistance available for most positions
- Serve as classified architectural lead planning, defining, developing high-level design, and solution space for special projects
- Ability to create strategy and vision, and lead teams to meet objectives directing and performing system engineering and assessments for integration of complex systems
- Provide interface with external Other Government Agencies (OGAs), the COCOM users, stakeholders, and system developers to establish high-level solution intent, and the solution intent information models and documentation requirements
- Work with internal (notably the Chief Architect, program managers, and senior leadership) and external stakeholders on all phases of the system engineering process: to develop requirements, manage design, integration, analyze capabilities, test, operations, and realize the implementation of system epics
- Interface with the design and implementation engineers/architects to resolve and mitigate problems arising during design/implementation in accordance with the fundamental design concepts, and users' needs and constraints.
- Define subsystems and their interfaces, allocate responsibilities to subsystems, understand solution deployment, and communicate requirements for interactions with solution context
- Enable appropriate design guidelines and investment advocacy
- Operate within an economic framework when analyzing the impact of design decisions
- Minimum 15-20 years experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, with a wide range of internal and external customers
- Work well independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills, quick learner, and demonstrated problem solver
- Able to apply complex system knowledge and experience to solve practical situations
- BS degree or equivalent in engineering or computer science
- Experience with DoD special access programs
- Must be a US citizen and be able to obtain a US government security clearance
- Active DoD Top Secret Security Clearance
- Some travel is required
- Experience in various aspects of satellite ground system software, including mission coordination, planning and scheduling, command and telemetry, satellite operations, flight dynamics modeling, and front end processors
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Command, Control, Battle Management, and Communications (C2BMC)
- Experience and history with the Missile Defense Agency
- Experience with national security and Air Force space and ground systems
- MS Degree
- Knowledge of satellite communication protocols and standards
- Knowledge of cybersecurity best practices related to satellite operations
- Experience with satellite ground station equipment, including antennas and RF systems
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms and their integration with ground systems
SDL supports a variety of missions, including NASA’s vision to reveal the unknown for the benefit of humankind and the Department of Defense’s aim to protect our Nation on the ground, in the air, and in space. Our sensors, satellites, software systems, and science and engineering play an essential role in some important missions you’ve heard of, and others that you haven’t. Join our team in our seventh decade of delivering mission success.
For questions or assistance with the application process or the DoD SkillBridge program, please contact [email protected].
For questions or assistance with the application process or the DoD SkillBridge program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
EOE including Disability and Vet