Howmet Structure Systems, located in Cleveland, OH, is a heavy industrial manufacturing plant which employs approximately 800 people and produces over 60 million pounds of aluminum, titanium, magnesium nickel alloy, and steel forgings. The site produces unique, engineered products in a wide range of configurations, sizes, and tempers for aerospace, military, and commercial vehicle applications.
Howmet Aerospace is a leading global provider of advanced engineered solutions for the aerospace and transportation industries. The Company’s primary businesses focus on jet engine components, aerospace fastening systems and titanium structural parts necessary for mission-critical performance and efficiency in aerospace and defense applications, as well as forged wheels for commercial transportation. Howmet Aerospace is transforming the next phase of more fuel-efficient, quieter aerospace engines and sustainable ground transportation. For more information, visit www.howmet.com. Follow @howmet: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Primary Purpose of Job
Howmet Aerospace, a forging facility located at 1600 Harvard Ave., is seeking an Area Lead to join its Operations Department. Under the direction of either the Operations Manager or Director of Manufacturing, this position is responsible for ensuring the consistent implementation and execution of policies and systems in the focused area of responsibility to guarantee that internal and external customer expectations are met safely and at the lowest cost. Direct reports include up to (6) 1st shift Operations Supervisors. The incumbent communicates continually with the Procurement, Planning, Die Design, Quality, EHS Departments, Maintenance, and Shipping Departments, as well as with all other levels of management in the Operations Department. Externally, they communicate with vendors, suppliers, contractors, and customers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage entire high temp flow path which, unlike other areas in the Cleveland facility, involves accountability for employees and other resources in both of the main areas of the plant.
- Lead continuous improvement activities (ex. Kaizen events; problem-solving sessions; 5S activities) in the area to systemically improve safety, quality, productivity, lead time and delivery.
- Assuming the role of providing “in the moment” direction and support to resolve conflicts and challenges regarding Safety, People, Quality, Delivery, and Howmet Business Systems implementation in the incumbent’s focused area of responsibility.
- Staying closely connected with senior leadership, providing updates as needed and proposing solutions to problems that exist.
- Staying closely connected with internal and external suppliers and customers for focused areas, while adhering to the High Temp for the incumbent’s area of responsibility, making sure the right decisions are made for the overall business.
- Engaging and utilizing the resources at the incumbent’s disposal to meet area focused objectives as set by the Operations Manager to support the production of Aerospace and Industrial Products, without sacrificing a spirit of cooperation with other areas, so as not to detrimentally impact the vitality of Cleveland Operations.
- Driving direct reports to achieve a realization of their area’s scrap and throughput forecast to ensure the attainment of absorption cost numbers, as set by the Director of Operations and Operations Manager.
- Coaching, leading, guiding, and training other Operations Department staff to ensure production efficiency and safety.
- Providing coverage for other Area Leads, as necessary.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
For this position to be successful, the incumbent should have:
- A Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited institution, in a related field, or a written commitment to take college classes on at least a part time basis until earning a bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a heavy manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
For this position to be successful, preference is given to candidates with:
- Experience in a continuous improvement environment with a demonstrated ability to use the available tools to drive change on the shop floor or other setting.
- The ability to effectively communicate (verbally and written) and delegate while maintaining forward motion on key deliverables.
- A high degree of interpersonal skills to motivate and influence others, including those not under their direct supervision.
- Demonstrated problem solving, systems thinking, project management, and team building ability.
- Experience using Oracle ERP systems
- 3 or more years of experience managing people and processes with progressive accountability.
- 1 or more years of experience working in a unionized environment.